Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: First scan from the Agfa - What's THIS?!

Re: First scan from the Agfa - What's THIS?!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott -- View Post
    I'm using VueScan, actually. Will try it with FotoLook (I think I downloaded version 3.6).

Also, the B&W is actually a scan from a negative, so this is all using the transparency tray. That's why I'm confused why it'd be there in the B&W but not the color.

Heading out for the weekend. I'll have to experiment more come Monday. Thanks for the help so far.

Scott
    I have have very poor luck attempting to use VueScan with my Microtek Artixscan 2500f, which is very mechanically similar to your Agfa scanner (Agfa scanners were made by Microtek, also). While it always works with VueScan, the results have always been inferior to Silverfast, or Microteks own scanner software, which can be downloaded for free from their website. Don't know if Microtek's software will work with an older scanner such as your Agfa, have to check the website. There is a list of scanners there. Silverfast, of course, would have to be purchased.

Quote Originally Posted by j.e.simmons View Post
    lso, be careful that your large negatives don't curl too much under the heat from the scanner. I had one curl up and jam when I pulled the tray out. I had a devil of a time getting it out.
    A useful trick I found a while back on my Arcus 1200 that might apply to the Duoscan: you can open the lid with a glassless tray in place. On either side of the lid are the two locking pins that keep you from opening the lid with the glass out (presumably to control dust getting on the sensor carriage's mirror and lens); these have little "tails" that are barely accessible from the edges of the lid. Using a small tool, like a miniature screwdriver, or after some practice an educated fingernail, you can snag the ends of these "tails" and push them toward the back end of the scanner, and they will unlatch and allow lifting the lid, which in turn will allow a) clearing a jam such as you describe (I've never had this happen, but I can see where it could), and b) using fabricated adapters to scan unsupported formats that can't be slid in and out with the glassless tray -- I scan 16 mm film in my 4x5 holder, for instance, with the uncut strip hanging out past the edges of the scanner, and lift the lid to reposition the film as I work along the strip or c) cleaning the scan carriage mirror to remove persistent dust stripes that aren't accounted for by junk in the calibration area of either scan glass or lid.
    If a contact print at arm's length is too small to see, you need a bigger camera. :D

I'm using VueScan, actually. Will try it with FotoLook (I think I downloaded version 3.6).

Scott
    FotoLook 3.6 is the newest version.

I had density problems with FotoLook 3.5, which looked like a broader version
    of your stripe.

The Microtek 2500f and the Agfa Duoscan are more than mechanically similar ... they are the exact same machine with different firmware. The only important difference is that the Douscan can't use Microtek software.

You should try the scanner with Silverfast Ai for best results.

my neg scanner sometimes gives me a weird stripe or cuts off at the end, try rescanning after its cooled down (unplug and leave for say 24hours)

Donald had it - there was a tiny (and I mean tiny) spec of packing styrofoam in the calibration strip right in line with the dark stripe. Cleaned it, and there ya go:

I'm still going to investigate software other'n VueScan, though.

Thanks for all the help.
    Scott

Donald had it - there was a tiny (and I mean tiny) spec of packing styrofoam in the calibration strip right in line with the dark stripe. I'm still going to investigate software other'n VueScan, though.

Thanks for all the help.
    Scott
    Many people recommend VueScan, and at least for me, on all my scanners VueScan is not my first choice, however I have other software options. Where VueScan can be of great help is in using very old, semi-obsolete scanners, where there is no other software support. When you have no other choice, VueScan can make the diffference between an operating scanner and a big paperweight. If you do have other software choices available, such as Silverfast, you are better off using Silverfast.

Quote Originally Posted by Gene McCluney View Post
    Many people recommend VueScan, and at least for me, on all my scanners VueScan is not my first choice, however I have other software options. Where VueScan can be of great help is in using very old, semi-obsolete scanners, where there is no other software support. When you have no other choice, VueScan can make the diffference between an operating scanner and a big paperweight. If you do have other software choices available, such as Silverfast, you are better off using Silverfast.
    Silverfast AI works very well with this scanner.

Don Bryant

Ok, I downloaded the demo of Siverfast AI for the DuoScan. Will preview scan in reflective mode, but not transmittive. Not sure why - I get a "Cannot read scan parameter from scanner" message. Ideas?

Can't help you with Silverfast -- I've found FotoLook completely adequate, though I mostly use it as the Twain interface from PS 5 LE (which also came with my Arcus 1200). I use that combination because, though I have no software that will let me edit extensively at 16 bits per channel, with this setup I can scan at 16 bits per channel and perform a levels adjustment, then demote to 8 bits and still have a healthy looking histogram (do a levels adjustment of any magnitude in 8-bit, and you'll get a histogram of the sort I've heard described as looking "like a broken comb").
    If a contact print at arm's length is too small to see, you need a bigger camera. :D