Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: CF Tripod choices

Re: CF Tripod choices

My Velbon 530 Carmagne is probably a touch short for you - I use a little centre column rise and I am 5' 10''. It also has lever locks and no ground spikes. On the other-hand, it will sink to practically the floor. I use it for my Wista 5x4 and Mamiya TLRs. I am happy with it. It was available locally and did not seem to have as many finger traps as the ubiquitous Manfrotto legs...

Tripods are like shoes. Best if you can try them for fit first.

Quote Originally Posted by John Powers View Post
    For those of you who have bought a Feisol:
    What amount or % duty if any have you had to pay?
    What size screw goes into the camera base, 1/4, 3/8 or a surprise?
    If 3/8" would it support any heavy duty head, specifically a Gitzo 1570M?

The comment on the site about air pressure in the leg sections gets my interest. Do you have to wait a few seconds for each section? I am wondering if you have to pack a lunch to wait out four sections times three legs?

Brian, Is there any reason this wouldn't support a 12# camera 7x17, 3# lens and film holder. Several friends with this rig use a Gitzo 1325. Is there any reason other than cost that you didn't replace the 1325 with the newer version Gitzo?

Thanks all.

John
    I bought one about a year ago....

No duty, just the $35-40 shipping.
    Mine had the larger 3/8" screw on the plate.
    Would definitely support any tripod head. I used a Kirk BH-3 with mine.
    The leg air pressure is better than Gitzo. My 1325 takes a second or two for each leg to collapse. My Feisol was much faster to collapse - seemed to have better venting within the leg.

Brian and I both have the smaller Feisol (similar to the 2 series Gitzo's). For a 7x17 camera my Feisol would not have been adequate. The larger Feisol would probably do the job just fine, though I haven't seen it in person. I'd give Gitzo the overall edge in fit/finish/stability, but you pay quite a bit for that.

Thanks all for answers. They sound pretty positive, Is there any interest in a group discount purchase? I am interested in the unit Greg purchased, the 3471.

A possible way of dividing up a group purchase without further shipping might be any overlap in travel plans. I will be at APUG Bill Schwab's northern Michigan gathering June 18-24 and then the VC conference the next weekend.

John

I'm a little confused as to why someone would buy the larger feisol(3471). It weighs over 5 lbs. Thats as much as my large aluminum manfrotto weighs that i'm replacing. Granted my 4x5 set up is pretty light(camera-3.5 lbs, no lenses over a pound). This thing supports something like 30 lbs, what are you guys shooting with? The 2 smaller ones both support over 15 lbs. Isn't the point of going to CF to significantly reduce weight? Even the smaller models like the 3401 extend with no center column up to about 56 inches, add a head on it and a LF camera at it has plenty of height, at only half the weight of the larger 3471. I'd like to hear your opinions.

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Kavalunas View Post
    I'm a little confused as to why someone would buy the larger feisol(3471). It weighs over 5 lbs. Thats as much as my large aluminum manfrotto weighs that i'm replacing. Granted my 4x5 set up is pretty light(camera-3.5 lbs, no lenses over a pound). This thing supports something like 30 lbs, what are you guys shooting with? The 2 smaller ones both support over 15 lbs. Isn't the point of going to CF to significantly reduce weight? Even the smaller models like the 3401 extend with no center column up to about 56 inches, add a head on it and a LF camera at it has plenty of height, at only half the weight of the larger 3471. I'd like to hear your opinions.

Adam

You don't need the 3471 for most 4x5 applications. I have a Canon/Sinar rig that's pretty heavy and ackward. The 3401 would be enough but I like a little over-kill. Sometimes I use offset arms in the field etc.
    Greg Lockrey

Wealth is a state of mind.
    Money is just a tool.
    Happiness is pedaling +25mph on a smooth road.

Wow, that is quite the set up Greg. I think from doing all my research that the 3401 is the right fit for me. It has a few extra inches over the 3301 version, plus it goes a few inches shorter. Can anyone comment as to the rigidity of a 3 section over a 4 section, i've only ever shot with a 3 section tripod.

Wow, that is quite the set up Greg. I think from doing all my research that the 3401 is the right fit for me. It has a few extra inches over the 3301 version, plus it goes a few inches shorter. Can anyone comment as to the rigidity of a 3 section over a 4 section, i've only ever shot with a 3 section tripod.
    A nature photographer friend of mine who turned me on to these pods has the 3301. It is not any more rigid than mine. He now wishes that he got the 4 section version for it's portability sake. BTW I rarely use the fourth section, when I do, I need a small step ladder.
    Greg Lockrey

Wealth is a state of mind.
    Money is just a tool.
    Happiness is pedaling +25mph on a smooth road.

Adam
    Adam,

Let me offer you my thinking. You don’t have to agree with it, but by explanation I hope it will be understandable. I shoot 8x10 and 7x17, am 67 years old and carry most stuff in a baby jogger with 100# shocks and 20 inch wheels. My 7x17 rig is a Ries A100 tripod @ 13 pounds, A250 head @ 4.75 pounds, Phillips camera @ 12 pounds, lens up to 3 pounds, film holder 3 pounds. I shoot an 8x10 Phillips about 7 pounds on the same gear.

I agree with Greg that rigidity is extremely important. My thinking is why bother with ULF if the image is blurred. My 8x10 Sinar P is on a several hundred pound studio stand. In that situation it is usually easier to move the subject rather than the camera.

The 7x17 rig is a little heavy for me to set up. I had been thinking of getting a 4 pound Gitzo 3530LVS or 3540LVS at B&H for $650 plus $20 shipping. For two pounds more I can get the 3471 for $319 plus $42 shipping. Which ever CF tripod I get I will use a Gitzo 1570M head that I already own @ 2.75 pounds. For my way of thinking it is a balance of how much weight my old bones can handle, how much vibration or motion I can eliminate and what is the most value to me for my dollar. I see buying the 3471 as maintaining the rigidity I have, reducing the set up weight of 35.75 pounds by 10.2 pounds, at $309 cheaper than the Gitzo version I was considering. I am not really good with math so if I have made a mistake please point it out.

John

Just wanted to give a big thanks to everyone who participated in this thread. After weighing all the options, I ordered a Feisol 3401 today. If it wasnt for you folks, i probably never would have even heard of Feisol. Thanks a bunch, and i'll be sure to give a little update once i've had a chance to use the new pod.

Adam

Adam,

Thank you for starting the tread. I learned much also and will be getting a Feisol myself.

John