Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone seen or used this device?

Has anyone seen or used this device?

Re: Has anyone seen or used this device?

I saw one very much like it (perhaps the very same), available in Nikon or EOS mount, at PMA in Las Vegas, made by a company called Fotodiox. It may not be on their website, but you can contact them and ask about it. I suspect they can make it for any camera mount, since they make lots of different adapters. It seemed like a neat thing.

Hmmm, there is very little in the way of product description. Wouldn't the 35mm camera capture only the center of the 4x5 image area that would normally project on the GG? This would make picking lenses tricky. If this was a neat product you would think that there would be glowing text to point out its virtues etc???

Max

It's interesting for stitching with a DSLR.

You can set up the shot on the 4x5" camera using the groundglass and switch to a DSLR to capture a panorama using the sliding back or even the whole frame by using rear rise/fall on the LF camera in conjunction with the sliding back (or obviously use the perpendicular movements for verticals), then stitch all the small captures together in software.

I'm trying to understand the concept of operations for this. A 4x5-to-35mm reducing back? Maybe a way to use a digital Canon SLR as a metering aid? Canon makes TS lenses, albeit expensive, but the image area is so small for this setup to use it for tilt/shift reasons. It says "Canon" on the device but didn't find anything of the Canon website (US or Japan), but not a rigourous search, either.

David's post made it before mine. Understand the purpose now.

I don't have one of these devices.
    My understanding is that the mirror housing of the DSLR gets in the way when tilting using a setup like this. Also, the DSLR sensor plane isn't at the same plane as the ground glass.

Robin

Mmmm. Looks like a cheapo version of the Cambo Ultima 35 system.

http://www.cambo.com

Richard

Well, Calumet has the Cambo X2-Pro system advertised in their latest catalog, which hooks up to the Canon, Nikon and Fuji digi-systems. It's much more involved and seems to be beautifully tooled and designed. Price is $1800...offers 17.5 mm shift in both directions and 20 degrees tilt/swing. Small print says the amount of movement is dependent upon chip size, lens image circle and body construction of the camera body.

Hope nobody is offended at the posting of a digi/view cam device but this looked interesting. I would love to hear an experienced photographers take on using this...

The more things change, the more they stay the same. Leica made one of these to mount one of their thread mount bodies to a view camera, before WWII. Kodak made 'em for 828 in a sliding form -- ground glass matched to the film plane on one side, camera body with 828 film transport on the other (though neither of those were SLRs and the Kodak body was dedicated to the adapter).

Seems to me it wouldn't be hard to do the same with the mount end of an M42 lens (or a cheap extension ring) and mount my Spotmatic on a Graflok-compatible camera back. Probably be cheaper to buy a monorail and make one of these than to buy a tilt-shift lens for the Spottie...
    If a contact print at arm's length is too small to see, you need a bigger camera. :D

Quote Originally Posted by Donald Qualls View Post
    The more things change, the more they stay the same. Leica made one of these to mount one of their thread mount bodies to a view camera, before WWII.
    So correct. I worked with a photographer in the 80's that had a Nikon F3 attached to a 4x5. I'm forgot how he did it but I suspect, at that time, it was some sort of Tamron or T mount or something and that was attached to the back of a camera. I think he used a Cambo or something. Been a while.