In a continuing effort to improve results, I'm re-examining my LF techniques and habits and their effects on camera stability.

One gremlin is that the tripod socket on this Ebony model seems too eccentrically placed and IMO contributes to camera instability when mounted on a ball head using an adapter plate.

The tripod socket on the SV45U is only 1.25" from the edge of the camera base which is 6.5" wide - a full two inches short of the center. I don't know why Ebony didn't place the socket more centrally - am I missing something obvious here?

Since I'm using RRS's BH-55 head with a B22 mounting plate, I phoned them for ideas. Joe pointed out that most Ebony customers use RRS's B29 mounting plate and he generously offered to swap them gratis. The B29 is only 3/4 inch longer than the short mounting plate I now use. While it could be a slight improvement, it still doesn't address the eccentrically placed tripod socket on the camera that I think is the bigger issue.

Any suggestions as to how I might maximize stability of this camera when mounted given the location of the socket on this model?