Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Bye, bye, Adorama

Re: Bye, bye, Adorama

Years ago, I made a phone an inquiry on some items. The were so nasty, I wouldn't buy from them if they were the only store on the planet.

Never had a problem of any kind with Adorama in many years of dealing with them. However, I can only think of one used item I've purchased, usually I buy new things.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

I've never purchased used gear from Adorama, and based on the reports I read around the Net we are well advised to avoid them for used items. My few dealings with Adorama have always been smooth. BHPV pulls the film thing too - just yesterday I recieved 6 boxes of Quickloads with great dates, and an expired box; they did the same thing to me this time last year. They'll take it back so I'm just out the postage and handling.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric James View Post
    BHPV pulls the film thing too - just yesterday I recieved 6 boxes of Quickloads with great dates, and an expired box; they did the same thing to me this time last year. They'll take it back so I'm just out the postage and handling.
    The only gripe I have about BHPV is that I can order mid-day (their time) on friday and request 2-day shipping, and sometimes the order won't go out until the following monday. I realize they start their sabbath observance Friday evening, but come-on, if they are open all afternoon, they could at least get out the orders with expidited shipping that came in before 1pm Their Time.

Quote Originally Posted by Gene McCluney View Post
    I realize they start their sabbath observance Friday evening, but come-on, if they are open all afternoon, they could at least get out the orders with expidited shipping that came in before 1pm Their Time.
    Gene, B&H closes at 2 pm every Friday. They're upfront about the closing time for 1-day/2-day shipping orders on Friday being 10:30am EST/11:30am EDT.

I have only had positive experiences with Adorama, but then I always go in person and only deal with two employees. Most of their staff don't have the slightest clue about photography, so I only deal with those who do. Julio is one, and I can't recall the name of the other.

As an aside, have you ever dealt with the B&H used equipment department? Now there you will experience a whole new meaning to the words rude and ignorant.

Yep, I've had the same run-around trying to buy a used Nikon LS8000 from them. See it on the website for a good price ($1100 inc international shipping) so email to enquire whether it has all the bits. Return email to say that I should be emailling somebody else (but not forwarding that email on). So, email guy #2 who says yes it has everything but is now sold. A week later I see another one (i.e. different stock number) at the same price. This time I just buy it and hope. After sorting out some credit card issues I then get told that, no, actually it turns out this one is broken and they can't sell it to me.

I haven't seen used film scanners at B&H or KEH (quite happy with both of them btw) so now it looks like eBay is my only choice.

Whoa! I've never had the "pleasure" of purchasing from them, and now I never will! How do they stay in business?

I refuse to buy anything from a store with the suffix "orama"
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

I've been handed expired film in store at B&H and Adorama. In addition neither place refrigerates their large format films. I only buy my film from Calumet now. Their prices are competitive and they keep everything nice and chilly.