Thread: New GG/Fresnel

New GG/Fresnel

I have a Tachihara woodfield 4x5 and unfortunately while hiking the subway yesterday i took a tumble and shattered my fresnel. The GG underneath seems to be ok, minus a few little scratches here and there, nothing too bad. Should I just get another fresnel and replace the old one, or should i look into the satin snow, boss, or others. I've been very happy with the fresnel, but are the other screens brighter? Should i worry about the small scratches in the ground glass? Thanks in advance,

Adam

Doug Dolde

Re: New GG/Fresnel

Get a Maxwell.

I would ask Jim at Midwest Photo. He offered me a replacement screen for a very good price. Unfortunately, I had already purchased one elsewhere.

As to scratches, it's up to you. My old Kodak Number 2 has really old frosted glass, no grid, and a scratch, but it hasn't stopped me any.

Hi, I have a Tachihara and the ground glass and the fresnel are one piece of plastic (opposite sides), covered by a thin grid glass. So, I am confused about the configuration of yours. Anyway, Midwest would be a good place to get a replacement (mpex.com).

Jon
    my black and white photos of the Mendocino Coast: jonshiu.zenfolio.com

While at the subway I only broke my foot. Cameras survived intact. I consider myself coming out better than you did.

My apologies if my original post was a little misleading. It appears that I just broke the glass grid overlay, not the fresnel which is plastic. Just called Jim at Midwest and got one on the way, thanks.

Adam