Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Decent photo vest?

Decent photo vest?

OK I think I'll break down and buy a photo vest because I want to look like a total camera geek...and because I just can't shove enough junk in my jean pockets.

The vests I've seen thus far all have their problems and seem to be more suited to making a fashion statement rather than being practical. My main gripe with them is that the pockets are not expandable enough (or at all)

Then there are the professional videographer photovests that make me look like I'm going bear hunting.

Is there any decent compromise out there?

PS what's with the khaki military Rambo theme in photographer clothing?

Re: Decent photo vest?

Have you check these guys out:

http://www.vestedinterest.com/

I broke down last year, tired of running back and forth to my backpack. I have the Photogs vest from Domke. Definate Rambo look, but lots of large well-placed pockets. I usually shoot in out of the way places such as swamps, so I don't really care if I don't look fashionable, I just want to be able to work reasonably fast.

As was discussed in a previous thread, you can also go for a belt with various pouches. This will be a lot cooler if you work in hot, humid conditions.

I agree with Ron's Domke Photogs suggestion. The pockets are more than adequate for all the gear I need close at hand without digging through the backpack. I never even considered what it looks like, just that it is functional. It might be making some kind of fashion statement, but I sure can't figure what that would be.

Ben

I like my Domke too. I don't recall the style # but it's the one with the mesh shoulders for summer wear. Mine is 18% grey so it's a good source for Zone V. It looks like my flyfishing vest but a little larger.
    Greg Lockrey

Wealth is a state of mind.
    Money is just a tool.
    Happiness is pedaling +25mph on a smooth road.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Richards View Post
    As was discussed in a previous thread, you can also go for a belt with various pouches. This will be a lot cooler if you work in hot, humid conditions.
    Actually I do use pouches which I got at the army suplus store. I carry 2 grafmatics per pouch (for my handheld 4x5) and about 4 pouches on the belt. Makes my pants fall down.

I wish I could find ammo pouches that carried more grafmatics or that could close over them but all the surplus stores in my area have gone upscale and sell "designer" surplus crap now/

(also, I suspect that an Iranian wearing ammo pouches running around town will cause a bit of a ruckus...though thus far no one has said anything to me...perhaps out of terror...)

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Hopson View Post
    I agree with Ron's Domke Photogs suggestion. The pockets are more than adequate for all the gear I need close at hand without digging through the backpack. I never even considered what it looks like, just that it is functional. It might be making some kind of fashion statement, but I sure can't figure what that would be.

Ben
    Well, I'll tell you what fashion statement it makes:

"Hi. I'm a camera nerd who wears funny military style jackets with lots of pockets to hold onto his toys, and who will never meet any girls."

That's what the vests I tried on said.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Richards View Post
    Have you check these guys out:

http://www.vestedinterest.com/
    Bear huntin'.

Been through the same exersize... The problem I had was finding one with pockets that would fit my 5x7 holders. Filson has a nice one that works for me.