Thread: Press camera lenses - need opinions

Press camera lenses - need opinions

I have a 'new' Anniversary Speed Graphic, wartime all black, SN 331001 (1943?). It came with a 13.5 Voigtlander Anastigmat 1:4.5 Skopar on a dial-set Compur (slow speeds sticky) mounted on solenoid-equipped B&J lensboard. I have mounted a 127mm f4.7 Kodak Ektar with a Graphic Supermatic (X) shutter (which is original to the Graflex press cameras, I believe) on a home-made lensboard (wood, routed light trap edge, well made and good-looking), to use with it.

I know the answer to my question is to go out and shoot with both. However, I was wondering if there is a quality or coverage difference in the lenses making one superior to the other. I have shot with the Ektar before, on a view camera with more movement, and have been somewhat dissapointed in it's coverage and edge sharpness.

As for the shutters, there is no question that the Graphic is a better shutter, and looks best on the camera.

Please let me have your opinions.

Re: Press camera lenses - need opinions

I can comment on the 127 Ektar and Annys. Straight on the 127 works very well, even the uncoated examples are very sharp IMHO. In typical tessar fashion the image rapidly deteriorates when the image circle is pushed. Sure the movements offered by this lens are zilch but then the Anny dosen't allow much in the way of moves anyway. Annys really shine as being handheld cameras and being handheld makes using movements a dubious proposition at best. Your Ektar lens and camera make a fine combination. It worked for Weegee.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

The Skopar is a Tessar-type lens. So, I believe, is the Ektar. In other words the Skopar will have a little bit better coverage since it's that little bit longer.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    I can comment on the 127 Ektar and Annys. Straight on the 127 works very well, even the uncoated examples are very sharp IMHO. In typical tessar fashion the image rapidly deteriorates when the image circle is pushed. Sure the movements offered by this lens are zilch but then the Anny dosen't allow much in the way of moves anyway. Annys really shine as being handheld cameras and being handheld makes using movements a dubious proposition at best. Your Ektar lens and camera make a fine combination. It worked for Weegee.
    John, you are right on: I intend to use the camera for handhelds, so movements are not important, but edge sharpness is (to me, at this point in time). I will give the Ektar another try, this time with the camera it was intended for... I can try the Skopar on one of my wood field cameras (back to the shop to make another lensboard) since I have a gap between my 90mm Angulon and my 150mm Fujinon that it could cover. Ole makes the point that it may have a bit more coverage. I know I was dissapointed with the Ektar with full movements applied, so maybe the Skopar will be better. It would be a shame not to use such a mint lens!