Thread: Storing Exposed Film

Storing Exposed Film

I'd like to try developing my own black and white film. (Currently, I use E-6 Readyloads). I am making a list of all the items I need in order to give this is a try. The part I'm wondering about is storing exposed sheets of film. Do people just store them in empty boxes and sleeves, or are there alternatives? If so, any suggestions on where to get my first few empty boxes?

Thanks,
    Vijay

Re: Storing Exposed Film

Quote Originally Posted by vijaylff View Post
    I'd like to try developing my own black and white film. (Currently, I use E-6 Readyloads). I am making a list of all the items I need in order to give this is a try. The part I'm wondering about is storing exposed sheets of film. Do people just store them in empty boxes and sleeves, or are there alternatives? If so, any suggestions on where to get my first few empty boxes?

Thanks,
    Vijay
    Send me a private message and I can get you some 4x5 film boxes.
    Paul

Confidently Agnostic!

Quote Originally Posted by vijaylff View Post

Thanks,
    Vijay
    This is only a problem for your first box or so. I remember going around asking the local stores if they had any empty boxes. If you have enough film holders (say 5 or 6), it's easy enough to just process film straight out of your holders as you fill them up. After the first box you'll start to accumulate empties and it gets easier to manage. Just start with the small 25-sheet boxes at first so you go through them reasonably quickly. After you've got 3 or 4 empties you can start buying the bigger boxes.

Even now I usually just process straight from the holders. On trips I just carry a couple of empty boxes with me and write on the outside what's inside as I start filling them up (one box for E6, one for B&W - it's easy enough to sort them out later by feeling the notches in the dark).

Some folks store their latent images up for a few months and ship to their lab when the itch needs to be scratched. A lock-n-lock container provides a great way to store RLs and QLs in the freezer or frig. Those mystery-material sleeves absorb moisture so I keep a silica gel cartridge in the box.

http://www.heritagemint.com/jump.jsp...7;2C2%2C7%2C52

Sleeves and boxes should be fine as long as you keep the exposed film apart from the unexposed and away from the light. My biggest worry was always in scratching the negs while they were placed back into the sleeves (by getting a bit of grit between the sheets) or humidity causing the negs to stick together.