Thread: Newbie

I'm a photography student who has recently started using 5x4 view cameras. As a student my work isn't specific and I'll work with all kinds of subjects. I'm stuck with college studio and darkroom equipment. I'm not sure what anyone has to offer in the way off advise but anything would be appreciated as I don't see the point shooting 120 or 35mm when I have a DSLR and a 5x4 I can get my hands on.

Anything like movements, bellows extension, reciprocity, Equipment, scanning, digital and darkroom printing.

Re: Newbie

I won't presume to dispense advice but don't think you won't use 35mm or MF. I personally often use 35mm even though I have DSLRa too, and MF is great if you want to use film but don't want to bother with a tripod etc for 5x4.

Steve Simmons book "Using the View Camera" is a great resource, as are the archives and articles on this site. IMHO, Tuan is the Official International President-in-Chief of LF Photography because of this great resource He's created! You've found the best right here---go to the blue banner at the top of this page and start clicking and reading!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

If you haven't already, click on the "LF Home Page" link in the blue navigation bar above. You'll find a number of articles that should help you get started with the 4x5.

Thanks John. In addition to my book I usually recommend Jim Stone's User's Guide to the View Camera and Jack Dykinga's book Large Format Nature Photography.

The Free Articles section of the View Camera site has several articles that might be helpful to you

www.viewcamera.com

thanks

steve simmons

A good (and free!) way to simplify calculations for bellows extension, is the Quick Disc.

It shouldn't be used as an excuse not to learn the math, but it's a great time saver in the field.

OK my advice: use a little piece of cardboard or plastic with a rectangular hole cut out in it in the approx. dimensions of your camera format (1.25" by 1") and use it to pre-visualize the composition of your shot before you go through the hassle of setting up your camera.

To add to that -- you can then tie a string on the frame with knots at distances that correspond to the lens focal lengths you have available, and see the *exact* perspective your camera would record with each lens. You can alternately mount the frame on a stick with notches at the correct distance (the latter is nice to use and can still fit in a shirt pocket if you scale down 1:4 as above).
    If a contact print at arm's length is too small to see, you need a bigger camera. :D