Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Help! Need to replace CRT

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Re: Help! Need to replace CRT

check out this recent thread (my panic attack when the beloved crt died, all the great advice, and the fortuitous rescue by the gods of ebay):

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...&highlight=crt

Hey thanks for the offer JW!I may take you up on the offer if something doesn't pan out soon.I grabbed the Apple Cinema Display from work and brought it home, my partner said no problem for a couple weeks as long as its back in the mornings.Now that its hooked up to my box, I've gone through some recent scans and they all look grossly over sharpened and contrasty as hell, the same files that looked and printed beautifully on my old rig.I want my artisan back damnit! Tommorow I'm gonna bring the eyeone home and see what I can do.

Quote Originally Posted by JW Dewdney View Post
    The IV is more recent I think - though it's only available in a 19. I suspect the II is older, though I don't know for SURE. They're SOLID, though. Listen, Chris. If you're without ANY monitor.. I have quite a good Silicon Graphics monitor from a high end workstation (20") that I'll basically GIVE you (guess $20 would be fine). It's fine- you can do color correction on it and everything. I used it for a few years. Never a problem. I'd say it's a notch below the artisan for sure... but you can't beat the price! So - if you're local... that might be a good way to get up and running again.

"well when I turn it on the screen goes black except for a bright thin white line that runs horizontally edge to edge"

Sounds like fine art. Have you considered printing it out, blowing it up to say 5' x 6' and selling it?
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

If you need an Artisan calibration puck, send me email.

Tech Support, Chromix, Inc.

You might be able to have more confidence in your CRT source, when you are looking for something on ebay, if you browse according to "location", enter your zip code - and choose from monitors that are close to you. (You could even save on shipping costs!)

You might be happier with the Cinema Display after you have calibrated it. I've been using one for two years and find it to be much superior to my LaCie Electron Blue.