Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help! Need to replace CRT

Re: Help! Need to replace CRT

Hi Jon, well when I turn it on the screen goes black except for a bright thin white line that runs horizontally edge to edge.I hadn't considered having it fixed since it has many many hours on it, and I don't have the calibration puck for it anymore (it got crushed during construction

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Shiu View Post
    Hi, I use an Artisan monitor also and was wondering what went wrong with it and if you found out anything about getting it repaired?

Jon

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Strobel View Post
    Hi Jon, well when I turn it on the screen goes black except for a bright thin white line that runs horizontally edge to edge.I hadn't considered having it fixed since it has many many hours on it, and I don't have the calibration puck for it anymore (it got crushed during construction
    So - I guess one of your transformers is shot - I forget which one is which - the flyback transformer creates the L-R scan motion - I think.. regardless - it sounds like it's the transformer that's controlling vertical movement in your guns.

Quote Originally Posted by JW Dewdney View Post
    So - I guess one of your transformers is shot - I forget which one is which - the flyback transformer creates the L-R scan motion - I think.. regardless - it sounds like it's the transformer that's controlling vertical movement in your guns.
    It sounds like the vertical synch transformer. It enables the image to be expanded vertically, hence the horizontal line if it's dead, because the horizontal one still works.

I can't BELIEVE you said that...!!! LOL
    Hey, what's that supposed to mean? I do have a conscience, y'know!

Called Samy's, those Electron Blues are gone Oh well my enlarger still works

Chris - they're over at the surplus store. They're older Mk.IIs - but I don't think they have too many hours on them, as they were demos. They were there a few days ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Marko View Post
    It sounds like the vertical synch transformer. It enables the image to be expanded vertically, hence the horizontal line if it's dead, because the horizontal one still works.

Hey, what's that supposed to mean? I do have a conscience, y'know!
    Welllllll... look at mr. fancy DOUBLE-QUOTE...!!! I WAS, of course, just kidding with you about the CRT vs. SUV thing. Thanks for the clarification on the gun transformers. I know JUST ENOUGH to look silly talkin' about it..!

I asked about if they were in the surplus store and the guy said they sold, but I'll try their direct number tommorow.I don't know much about the II's, whats the difference between the II and IV models?Thanks!

Chris - they're over at the surplus store. They're older Mk.IIs - but I don't think they have too many hours on them, as they were demos. They were there a few days ago.

The IV is more recent I think - though it's only available in a 19. I suspect the II is older, though I don't know for SURE. They're SOLID, though. Listen, Chris. If you're without ANY monitor.. I have quite a good Silicon Graphics monitor from a high end workstation (20") that I'll basically GIVE you (guess $20 would be fine). It's fine- you can do color correction on it and everything. I used it for a few years. Never a problem. I'd say it's a notch below the artisan for sure... but you can't beat the price! So - if you're local... that might be a good way to get up and running again.

FWIW it might be time to just bite the bullet and move on to a flat screen and get used to it, adapt. Since the CRTs are dead if you have to search out discontinued items. It won't be nearly as easy in a couple of years when you want to replace the next CRT.

My friend who does retouching for national ad accts moved to Apple's a year ago and never looked back. And the same for all his clients and everyone else in the workflow - down the chain - so everyone is looking at more or less the same thing. It is more a case of getting used to them than their being somehow less accurate than a CRT. Afterall, a CRT doesn't look perfectly like the film or the print either.

it's not that they're less accurate, I don't think - so much as that a CRT can display a WAY greater gamut. But that gap's been narrowing apparently. It has to do with how much voltage you can pump into each location on the matrix. It's VERY difficult to get brightness AND resolution - since it's a grid of wires.