Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help! Need to replace CRT

Help! Need to replace CRT

Hi all, ok my Sony Artisan, which was given me used on a barter deal 2 years ago, died Monday and I need to replace it.I found this guy on ebay who has these two Sonys, a GDM-F520 and CDP-G520P.Supposedly the CDP-G520P has been modified to take the Artisan color reference system (cable and puck) which I don't have anymore.Could some of you savvy types check out these two auctions and tell me which would be the better of the two.This guys local to me and will let me pick em up.I just don't have the money for a high end LCD right now and need a replacement asap.Thanks!..............Chris

http://cgi.ebay.com/SONY-GDM-F520-FD...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/SONY-CPD-G520P-G...QQcmdZViewItem

Re: Help! Need to replace CRT

Why is he selling two very similar models for such different prices (well, ok, starting bids)?

That'd be the first question to ask.

Next, you should ask him if the RGB guns can be adjusted separately (important for calibration).

Also, the age of each monitor would be important as well.

Finally, the current bid for the first one is already approaching what you would pay for some new LCDs of equivalent image size.

All being said, I am not very fond of second-hand CRTs as they are usually a lottery of sorts. If I were you, I'd much rather consider LaCie LCDs, especially last year's models that they occasionally sell at a discount. Not the top of the pack, but not the bottom either and very usable and easily calibrated.

Since you're on a budget at the moment, it also pays to "downgrade" from a 20" LCD to a 19" one, as they most likely have the same resolution but differ in price, some times significantly. Same thing for the aspect ratio - 16:9 (wide) is "in" and commands more than a "regular" 4:3 of similar characteristics.

Also bear in mind that viewable area on a CRT is usually an inch or two smaller than the screen size, while on LCD the two are the same.

Good luck!

What kind of LCD can I get thats going to approach sony artisan quality for 3 or 400.00?I'm sitting here typing on a 23" Appe Cinema display which cost a lot more, and my artisan looked much better, smoother, more even.An Eizo coloredge is just out of my budget

Quote Originally Posted by Marko View Post
    Why is he selling two very similar models for such different prices (well, ok, starting bids)?

That'd be the first question to ask.

Next, you should ask him if the RGB guns can be adjusted separately (important for calibration).

Also, the age of each monitor would be important as well.

Finally, the current bid for the first one is already approaching what you would pay for some new LCDs of equivalent image size.

All being said, I am not very fond of second-hand CRTs as they are usually a lottery of sorts. If I were you, I'd much rather consider LaCie LCDs, especially last year's models that they occasionally sell at a discount. Not the top of the pack, but not the bottom either and very usable and easily calibrated.

Since you're on a budget at the moment, it also pays to "downgrade" from a 20" LCD to a 19" one, as they most likely have the same resolution but differ in price, some times significantly. Same thing for the aspect ratio - 16:9 (wide) is "in" and commands more than a "regular" 4:3 of similar characteristics.

Also bear in mind that viewable area on a CRT is usually an inch or two smaller than the screen size, while on LCD the two are the same.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Strobel View Post
    What kind of LCD can I get thats going to approach sony artisan quality for 3 or 400.00?I'm sitting here typing on a 23" Appe Cinema display which cost a lot more, and my artisan looked much better, smoother, more even.An Eizo coloredge is just out of my budget
    Yes, but your Artisan is now dead and they don't make them any more. LaCie used to make really good ones too, once upon a time. Nobody makes CRTs any more, they've gone the way of Kodak photo paper.

20" Apple Cinema display costs $599, new. If you are really in a bind, there are much cheaper ones to be had at Costco. With the quality to match the price, to be sure, but you can always keep it as a secondary display for palettes, email and such once you get the real thing.

Just my $0.02.

the problem with buying stuff on ebay or otherwise online.. is that it's going to be QUITE impossible to know which one's better beforehand. If it were really critical - I'd secure a potential return from both of them, then buy both and return the lesser of the two. Kinda like lenses, ya know?

Hey MARKO - Samy's in LA has some 22" Electron Blues they'll probably sell for $50 each - in case you're interested.

Eizo has some re-certified LCDs with a one-year warranty.
    http://www.eizo.com/purchase/direct/monitors.asp

Kumar

Quote Originally Posted by JW Dewdney View Post
    the problem with buying stuff on ebay or otherwise online.. is that it's going to be QUITE impossible to know which one's better beforehand. If it were really critical - I'd secure a potential return from both of them, then buy both and return the lesser of the two. Kinda like lenses, ya know?

Hey MARKO - Samy's in LA has some 22" Electron Blues they'll probably sell for $50 each - in case you're interested.
    Hey Jonathan, that's a smoking deal! The suckers weigh a ton, but it sounds like an ideal solution for Chris.

I switched entirely to LCDs myself, though, several years ago - much easier on both my eyes and my back. They also suck much less juice, and dissipate less heat, especially if you run more than two in the same place, so they assuage my conscience for driving around in an SUV.

Hi, I use an Artisan monitor also and was wondering what went wrong with it and if you found out anything about getting it repaired?

Jon
    my black and white photos of the Mendocino Coast: jonshiu.zenfolio.com

Well this ebay guy says the CPD-G520P He's selling has 300 hrs. on it, has had it recently hard calibrated, and says its the same as the Artisan minus the puck, cable, hood, and D50 bezel.He also says He has an Artisan reference kit that He'd sell me, and that this particular monitor has been customized to work with it, plus being able to pick it up means no UPS bumps on the way ....hmmmm

The problem I have with LCD's, and we have tons of em here at work of all types of brands http://web.mac.com/paulhomer/iWeb/Fl...deckEnter.html
    is that for photography the dynamic range stinks, shadows block up, colors shift, and on our G5 and Apple Cinema display its toooo sharp and contrasty and also lacks the dynamic range I'm use to, and we use a eyeone display2 to calibrate it.Not a happening thing for B&W work, at least for me.

The only LCD I've seen in persson that impressed me was the Eizo Color Edge I saw demo'd at Calumet.Sweet piece of kit, but the $$$$ ouch!

Quote Originally Posted by Marko View Post
    ...so they assuage my conscience for driving around in an SUV.
    I can't BELIEVE you said that...!!! LOL