Thread: B+W Digital Printing

B+W Digital Printing

I would like to have my LF black and white film scans printed by a lab.

I remember some announcement last year about a new B+W commercial paper that can be used in standard machine. The first one was some company in New York.

Has anyone tried it yet? What are your thoughts and comments.

Re: B+W Digital Printing

I think you're thinking of the Ilford Digital paper? Try Elevator Digital - not sure who else.

Hi Frank
    I am using a Lambda 76 to print fibre base prints from digital files.
    www.elevatordigital.ca
    We have done a couple of thousand prints to date using this process and are very happy with results.
    Good quality capture is a key ingredient to this process as with any process.
    We just finished a 30x40 Mural Show from Cannon 5d camera which was pushing the envelope a bit , but the prints were beautiful and did pass critical eyes viewing the show.
    We print once or twice a week with dedicated days to the process and seem to be getting busier and busier with this process.
    Ilford has introduced an RC version as well and we recommend testing your files on this product first to look for artifacts before going to the more expensive fibre product.
    Lamount Imaging NY, Nardulies LA, Picto France, and Metro Imaging UK are the other labs that would offer the fibre product. *They all use auto machines to process, I do not *
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank R View Post
    I would like to have my LF black and white film scans printed by a lab.

I remember some announcement last year about a new B+W commercial paper that can be used in standard machine. The first one was some company in New York.

Has anyone tried it yet? What are your thoughts and comments.

Thank you both for your replies.

Has anybody else out there tried this?

Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post
    Lamount Imaging NY, Nardulies LA, Picto France, and Metro Imaging UK are the other labs that would offer the fibre product. *They all use auto machines to process, I do not *
    Nardulli's using it now?? really? they're right down the street from me. I have to go pick up some scans from them tomorrow actually!

At Silver this year, Elevator and Nardullis were asked to show samples of this product, I did not see them at the show and was not able to see their operation.
    But yes they are one of the intended labs to be using this product. They may not be ready to launch it yet as there are technical issues to overcome when using this product as well they may be waiting for their processor to be installed I am not sure. Maybe you will post the results of your visit.
    We have been doing this for at least 4 years now, Originally we were using rolls of Agfa Classic which worked wonderfully . I tried Ilfords paper and they did not work at the time. It has to do with the emulsion makeup and its sensitivity to exposure and Agfa paper seemed to fit into the right wave lengths.
    I would imagine over the next few years labs will be using this product as the general public become aware. Right now the wedding labs are going crazy on the RC product and Winit is having a hard time keeping up with the demand.
    This is very good news for the Management team at Ilford.

Quote Originally Posted by JW Dewdney View Post
    Nardulli's using it now?? really? they're right down the street from me. I have to go pick up some scans from them tomorrow actually!

So whats your point?
    The statement reflects what is actually going on right now in the wedding industry.
    If you fine print , then you should be happy that your Manufacturers have found a way to combine old and new technology to sustain us with film and paper in the future.
    This is a good thing for Ilford. Ilford keeps us supplied with materials, I am happy that they can diversify their product line and keep profitable.
    What material a photographer decides to use and sell is their own reasoning
    In our world , we use the RC version here as a proofing material for very large prints. Rather than go to the expensive fibre paper right off the hop , our clients can buy full size prints at fractions of the cost of the fibre to be able to look at their work at the large magnification . This in the long run saves thousands of dollars to the photographer who is planning and working on large photographic projects.
    This paper is totally matched for this purpose and we insist on using it with certain clients who are stretching the envelope with digital files to large prints.

If you read their website and spec sheets , your statement falls very flat,They are not saying this product is as good or better than fibre.
    It may not be suitable for you but it has a place in the photographic community.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakotah Jackson View Post
    "Right now the wedding labs are going crazy on the RC product"

Just what we need, RC paper to fade as fast as some of the weddings printed on it.

Why would anyone think RC for digital printing is any better than RC for printing from a negative. The stuff just does not last and no fine printer trusts it. Every time The Yellow Peril, Ilford and others tell us RC "is now just as good" as fibre paper those who fell for the line got bit. Every time.

Why would it be different now?