Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: so, do you guys consider my 6x9 to be "large format"?

Re: so, do you guys consider my 6x9 to be "large format"?

Quote Originally Posted by jonreid View Post
    No, it's not
    Thank you for your substantive contribution to the archive of this four-year-old thread.

Rick " " Denney

I shoot with two versions of basically the same camera. One is a 4x5 Linhof Master Technika, and the other its baby brother - the 6x9 Linhof Technika Vb. Both cameras can be used hand-held (or on a tripod), both have movements, and both have range-finder focusing in addition to ground-glass focusing.

They each have their advantages and disadvantages, and I have always considered the smaller 6x9 Technika to be a MF camera. In fact, I can use it hand-held and shoot reportage style in a way I could never do with the 4x5 version. It is also a great travel camera that allows for serious architectural shooting with movements and ground-glass focusing.

Using the same film and then comparing prints, there is no contest. Prints made from 4x5 negs have more detail, smooth tonality, and that LF magic. Prints made from 6x9 negs are very good, but the results are not quite LF.

So, if 4x5 is LF, 6x9 is MF (and there is nothing wrong with that).

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

I tend to get confused when I put a roll film back on my 4x5. The transition from LF to MF should be easy, but sometimes it is quite traumatic.

It depends. =@)

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Watkins View Post
    If I use my 6x9 rollfilm back on my 4x5 Wista does that make it a medium format camera. Of course not! I see your 6x9 as a large format camera.
    Best wishes,
    Pete.
    Same here.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    I tend to get confused when I put a roll film back on my 4x5. The transition from LF to MF should be easy, but sometimes it is quite traumatic.
    And, until a few years ago, Linhof made a 35mm Super Rollex back for the 4x5 Master Technika. So the camera could shoot: 35mm, 6x6, 6x7, 6x9, 4x5 and 126mm roll film.

But it was still a large format camera just shooting different formats and medium. Like the camera also shoot digital. And all of those backs could also be used on a 5x7 or 8x10 Linhof with the proper reducing backs!

And the 69 Technikas could shoot 6x6, 6x7 and 6x9cm film with view camera movements, so can the current TKs 23, M679cs and Techno Linhof cameras.
    So the question is really moot.

Arrow Yes, I would consider 6x9 to be large format when ...

Here is when the 6x9 view camera comes into play as large format:

After now using a P65+ for a couple of years there's no question that it exceeds 4X5" film in resolution, dynamic range and colour fidelity. So, what about the 80 Megapixel IQ180? Should it have been called the IQ8X10? Is an 80 Megapixel 500 Megabyte file able to equal 8X10" film?

I don't know. My seat-of-the-pants guess would be – yes. So, here's my challenge. If there's anyone out there that is still shooting 8X10" film, drum scanned or printed in the chemical darkroom, and who would like to do a side-by-side shoot out, please let me know, and when the IQ180 is shipping in May let's get together and find out.
    http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...d_report.shtml

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Re: Yes, I would consider 6x9 to be large format when ...

Quote Originally Posted by darr View Post
    Here is when the 6x9 view camera comes into play as large format:
    http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...d_report.shtml
    That discussion generated a lot of comments in the Lounge.

Interesting. I do not visit the Lounge. Was it mean-spirited or educational?

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Beings that I took the time to actually compare a 10328x7760 image to an 8x10 negative, it was educational for me. Some of the guys decided to go for the challenge, but were looking for reimbursement for their time and expenses, as all it does is bring traffic to the Luminous Landscape website. Somebody on the board actually has an 80Mp back, and posted a crop from it.

Yeah, there was a certain amount of blowing raspberries at each other, etc., etc.

Bottom line is that an 80Mp back can do a very credible job of getting close to what an 8x10 can do, for an order of magnitude increase in price. If the "comparison" setup is like what was done before, then everything will look like everything else. If the comparison is done outside, with near and far things, then a more objective viewpoint may be made.