Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beginning 4x5 Help!!

Beginning 4x5 Help!!

Hi,
    I am going to get the Bender 4x5 kit, but am having a hard time finding a lens. I dunno jack squat about 4x5 lenses. I need help! I can't seem to find one at a decent price or for 4x5.
    thanks
    chad

Re: Beginning 4x5 Help!!

On the front page of this site there is a list of modern lenses for 4x5:

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...s/LF4x5in.html

KEH Camera brokers and Midwest Photo Exchange are two places that have fair prices for used lenses. You can also post a wanted add on this site.

I would recommend starting with only one lens and shooting for a while to get a better idea of what focal lengths are appropriate for your shooting interests.

What focal lengths are you interested in?

Here is my advice.

If you want to build a kit the Bender is fine.

If you want to have a camera that is user friendly the Bender may not be the best choice. He has not, as far as I know, improved this kit for many years and you should be a fairly skilled woodworker to put it together. Not everyone will agree with this advice but it is my opinion

There are several articles in the Free Articles section of the View Camera web site that will be helpful to you.

www.viewcamera.com

Here is some additional reading

User's Guide to the View Camera by Jim Stone
    Using the View Camera that i wrote

try your local library or Amazon.com

If you can get to Louisville, KY June 29=July 1 we are doing a large format photo conference. The trade show is free and will have many used cameras on display for you to look at. Information is also on our web site

Do some reading and talking with people before deciding on a camera.

steve simmons
    publisher, view camera magazine

www.viewcamera.com

I think it would be a good idea for you to first borrow a view camera, take some photographs, and see if its for you. I don't know your photographic background, but a view camera is unlike any other type of camera.

However, I do admire someone who wants to build a (kit) camera, and wants to jump in with two feet, but you really should do some of research before getting involved. The books Steve mentioned are a very good starting point. There are also many really great used cameras for similar prices as the Bender.
    Good Luck

I agree with Steve.

I have not build a Bender my self, but used one. Actually I have build six different where I have changed the design myself.

But recently I bought a Sinar F2 for $500 inclusive shipping and man you can't even compare a own-build with that one. Sure the Sinar may be heavier and sure it's fun to build a camera of your own, But if you want to use the camera and want it to be sturdy and easy to focus accurate and don't wiggle when the wind comes don't go for a wood DIY camera.

/ Marcus

grumpy & miserable Joseph O'Neil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steve simmons View Post
    Here is my advice.

If you want to have a camera that is user friendly the Bender may not be the best choice. He has not, as far as I know, improved this kit for many years and you should be a fairly skilled woodworker to put it together. Not everyone will agree with this advice but it is my opinion

www.viewcamera.com
    -snip-

You do not have to be a "skilled" woodworker, but some woodworking experience is essential, IMO. For example, if you have to go out a buy the tools needed to build the camera, and you have no other use for these tools, then yes, the camera costs more than a good used one.

Also, I ended up making modifications to mine - as do many people - which is why I think he leaves the kit alone - it's a "tinkerer's camera".

One thing however I did find out - I learned more about how a LF camera works by building the Bender than I would of any other way. Especially the vast importance of the placement of the ground glass and how critical the focusing is. In my case, I spoiled a sheet of film, measured the distance in the film holder with film with a micrometer, and that's how i placed my ground glass properly.

So I am split on the issue myself. If you do have woodworking skills and tools, it is a very viable option, if you have none, buy a good used monorail.

joe
    eta gosha maaba, aaniish gaa zhiwebiziyin ?

I'm going to be selling a 135mm f/5.6 Symmar-S lens in Copal 0 shutter here in the next week or two. Send me a PM to remind me and I'll give you a note letting you know when it's available.

It would be a nice mild wide angle for 4x5, a great starter lens at an affordable price.

If you really want to go the DIY route for the fun of it you could also look at this (http://www.camerabellows.com/Bulldog.html) option which is probably easier to build as the parts are laser cut. However, if you decide it is not for you, getting your money back by selling a DIY project may present some difficulties whereas selling an unwanted Speed Graphic or similar will probably get you back what you paid for it if you go the auction site route.

Have fun, Bob.

I don't mean this sarcastically but if you're having trouble finding a lens for 4x5 then you must not understand what you're looking for. There are literally thousands of new and used 4x5 lenses available at any given time from many many sources such as Mid-West Photo Exchange, Adorama Camera in New York, KEH in Atlanta, and many other places, not to mention ebay of course (there's a category there for large format lenses but many are listed in the large format camera section as well). If you Google on any of these names you'll find a web site. Unless you have a specific use in mind, a lens in the 135mm to 210mm range is a good start for a general purpose 4x5 focal length. You can get approximate 35mm equivalents in 4x5 lenses by dividing the 4x5 focal length by 3.5 (or multiplying the 35mm length by the same number). E.g. a 210mm lens in 4x5 is the approximate equivalent of a 60mm lens in 35mm.

I've seen several Bender cameras. My impression has been that they're usable, i.e. you can make a photograph with them, but that's about it. FWIW the handful of people I've known who've built them haven't done it solely to save money but more because they just liked doing that kind of thing.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

I've always been of the view if you want to be a wood worker build a camera. If you want to take photos buy something. It's different for larger formats but 4x5 used cameras can be had for peanuts. I've bought three different 4x5 cameras for $100 or less. One even included a lens in that price. One included 10 film holders.

I'm sure you can learn alot from building a kit. OTOH you could just buy a fixer upper and learn to. But in both cases you'll be in the work shop instead of out taking photos.