Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Artixscan 2500F

Re: Artixscan 2500F

Larry and Tim,

To be perfectly clear - I do not defend Doug here, I will let him speak (and act) for himself.

All I am saying is: use a little common sense and hold off the big words until after you've exhausted all possible avenues.

Larry:

"Untested" IMO means just that - that somebody was not able to test the equipment for whatever reason. The fact that Doug unsuccessfully tried to get it to work does not automatically mean that the item is faulty. It does not mean it isn't either. What it means is that he was unable to get it to work with his computer and his knowledge. That also means that he does not have (proper) means to test it (your definition), unless he went on to acquire additional computer(s), which would be highly unrealistic, given the value of the scanner.

He says, and I believe him until proven otherwise, that the same scanner worked just fine for the person he got it from, on a different computer. I just don't see it as dishonest at all.

But if you insist on calling that "dishonest", how would you characterize complaining about the performance of the device you bought as "untested" and which you haven't even received yet?

Marko, If you want to do the hair-splitting routine, go for it. What is the meaning of the word "untested"? Is a BJ really sex?

The item was tested and failed. He tested it with both interfaces (SCSI and Firewire) and could not get it to work. All he had to say was that he couldn't get it to communicate with his particular configuration. On that basis I would have concluded that the item was faulty and would not have bid on it.

I am complaining because the item was misrepresented as untested when this thread proves otherwise. The timing is irrelevant. The honesty of his representation stands on its own.

[QUOTE=Marko;249418"Untested" IMO means just that - that somebody was not able to test the equipment for whatever reason. The fact that Doug unsuccessfully tried to get it to work does not automatically mean that the item is faulty. It does not mean it isn't either. What it means is that he was unable to get it to work with his computer and his knowledge. That essentially means that he does not have (proper) means to test it (your definition), unless he went on to acquire additional computer(s), which would be highly unrealistic, given the value of the scanner.

But if you insist on calling that "dishonest", how would you characterize complaining about the performance of the device you bought as "untested" and which you haven't even received yet?[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Menzin View Post
    Marko, If you want to do the hair-splitting routine, go for it. What is the meaning of the word "untested"? Is a BJ really sex?
    Hair-splitting routine? Well. Whatever you think is right. I tried hard to explain what the meaning of the word is, but if you don't get it, you don't get it.

As for the last question, I don't know, you tell me - you're the one who bought the "untested" item off eBay...

The item was tested and failed. He tested it with both interfaces (SCSI and Firewire) and could not get it to work. All he had to say was that he couldn't get it to communicate with his particular configuration. On that basis I would have concluded that the item was faulty and would not have bid on it.
    And I maintain that you shouldn't jump into conclusions.

He tested it on a single computer and could not get it to work. The person he got it from had it working fine on a different computer. At least that's what he says here and I choose to believe him until proven otherwise.

From what little I know about experimental procedures, this is very far from proving that the scanner is faulty. It could as well be his computer, but it doesn't prove that either. He simply does not have the resources - i.e. he is unable - to test it properly.

I am complaining because the item was misrepresented as untested when this thread proves otherwise. The timing is irrelevant. The honesty of his representation stands on its own.
    This thread proves nothing except the fact that he was unable to really test it.

Again, you can call it what you want, I just don't think it is right to call someone a fraudster based on unrealistic expectations or perhaps buyer's remorse and before you have even received the item in question, much less tested it on your own.

As far as I am concerned, I don't have anything else to add to this discussion. I said what I had to say and I will leave both you and Doug to worry about your integrity and sort this matter out.

As expected, the scanner arrived today DOA. My assumption is that the interface electronics are blown.

Dolde apparently purchased a non-functional scanner, tried to get it to work and failed, then put it up in EBay as "untested." It's your classic swindle. The entire sequence of events are documented on this thread.

I've emailed him a couple of times and have not gotten a response.

Deal with this seller at your peril.

Well, to get an unworking piece of equipment is a bummer. Considering this is a very fine scanner, particularly for those of us who do Large Format film, perhaps you should sit back and weigh the benefits to you from this scanner, if you were to have Microtek repair it? This model scanner seems to be hard to find. I have one and love it.

Larry, I'm really, really sorry. I had a bad feeling after my experience.

Come on Doug, refund his money. It's not worth your rep being damaged more.

Bob

Doug Dolde

If it's anyone's business here (and I don't think it is), I have already given him a full refund.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dolde View Post
    If it's anyone's business here (and I don't think it is), I have already given him a full refund.
    The complaint itself shouldn't have been posted here to begin with, IMO, at least not while the transaction was still in progress, but once it has been made public, then it became a matter of keeping the record straight.

Thanks for the follow-up anyway. It would've been much better if it were posted by the complaint originator, common courtesy or something along those lines, but oh, well...

Whatever happened to the scanner? I am interested in acquiring and repairing, now that the broken or not issue is out of the way??

Bob

Update: The refund arrived today. I would like to state that when the issue of the DOA scanner was brought to Doug's attention, he promptly issued a refund and was more than fair in his handling of the matter.

Kudos to Doug! Anything said by me previously in this thread (in anger) is retracted.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dolde View Post