Quote Originally Posted by IanMazursky View Post
Now the newest and best drum scanner is the Aztek Premiere. I think its around $55k Boy how times have changed.
Just some food for thought.
Even though I have my own drum scanner & drum scanning business. The time it takes to mount, scan and retouch each personal image makes me really question
and thoroughly edit every piece of film I intend to scan.
I usually shoot around 200-300 sheets a year and only scan maybe 100 or so.
For the most part, 80% are keepers but I have to justify the time cost in my head before I mount them.

Sorry for the long rant.
A Premier is more like 37K, plus you can buy pre-configured computers from them if you like for a bit more. Pretty hefty, but a few K less than what you thought...

On the other hand, the Howtek 4500's, from whence the Premier came, are pretty good for large format users, They tend to be around 5K-10K, depending on what you get with them, the condition, etc. They do 4,000 dpi, not quite the 8,000 dpi of the Premier - but that's all you need for a 4x5, and less than what you need for an 8x10....

I love my Premier... what a great machine. In fact, I'm done for the day, jsut checking in with my email, etc. I think I'll go scan that 8x10 of mine now.... ;-)

Lenny

EigerStudios