Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Am I nuts?

Am I nuts?

In a few weeks I am going to Brisbane, Australia- from Athens, Georgia. It will be by far the farthest away from home I've ever been, and I would really like to take my camera. The problem is this, I am a one camera and ones lens type of guy, and the camera is 8x10.. I just bought a new 8x10, the 8.6lb wehman, would I be crazy to try and take it on my trip with me? I'm 24 and in school, I have no type of insurance for my gear or anything like that... I'm rambling, but I've been reading all these travel threads and it seems like everyone is traveling with 4x5 outfits, which seems much less complicated in terms of weight.. Any suggestions besides "Buy a 4x5 camera" ?..

My head is spinning...

Re: Am I nuts?

First, assuming that you rent your home, your renters insurance might cover the camera. If you don't have renters insurance, look into it.

Second, I don't think you're crazy. Just buy the film in Australia and then ship it home.

Third, have fun.

What's so crazy about that? An 8x10 is hardly any more of a hassle than a 4x5. I bet only a small percentage of people nowdays even bother with insurance. Just don't put the camera is checked-in luggage and everything should be fine - even in Australia.

You would regret NOT taking it...you only live once. Go for it. I wouldn't worry about the Wehman on travel as they are build like tanks. But don't check it or the lens..

Yeah. I went to Spain several years ago and only took medium format gear, something I still deeply regret.

One camera and one lens- that travelling very light for me- even with a 8x10. Get crafty and figure out how to get everything into a reasonable carry-on and research shipping or purchasing film to/at your locations. And as mentioned above have fun!

We're all nuts.

Take the 8x10 on your trip. Arrange for buying & processing film in Australia, so you don't have to deal with the airport security nuts. Then FedEx it back.

And have fun, even if you don't make a single image.

Anyway, my 4x5 Arca-Swiss camera is probably heavier than my Canham 8x10.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

wow, those were quick responses! Thanks for putting me at ease, as far as tripods go- I was thinking of getting a feisol ct-3371 expressly for this trip, as my current aluminum bogen weighs 18 lbs. Also, I have been thinking of the modified kelty from photobackpacker.com. Does anyone have any experience traveling with either of these items?

Definately take it; with only one lens and a couple of filmholders you are in the weight range of most 4x5 outfits. If it becomes a burden you can put it in storage.

Don't forget a good changing tent.

Get a floater on your home or apartment insurance so that you are covered anywhere in the world.

By all means - go for it!

Categorize your problems, and attack them logically:

1. Transporting the camera and lens, meter, etc - definitely NOT as checked baggage. A back-pack is probably the most logical solution, but make sure that its large enough to also serve as a shooting bag when you get to your destination. Goes into the overhead bin - which are much larger on trans-Pacific flights than they are on domestic flights.

2. Transporting the film - you can buy it in Australia, but from other postings I would be concerned about how widely available it is. Keep in mind that 8x10 is really a specialty item. Schleping it with you is a possibility - check with the airlines to make sure you will be allowed "one carry on bag and one personal item", and if so, look for a shoulder bag that will hold a few boxes of film and a changing bag. Don't worry about x-rays - you probably won't have to go through security more than twice - and maybe only once. Put this under the seat in front of you on the plane.

3. Transporting the tripod - checked luggage. If you have a suitcase, it might be possible to put your tripod into it diagonally, wrapped in underwear. Alternatively, a tripod bag is smaller/lighter than a bag of golf clubs (and you will see people checking those).

4. Transporting film holders - try to have one or two in the backpack along with the camera/lens. You may be able to have a couple in the shoulder bag with the film. Alternatively, they can be wrapped in underwear and go in your checked suitcase.

5. Getting the film home - FedEx is commonly recommended, but make sure that you get assurances that it won't be x-rayed. Alternatively, put it back in the shoulder bag and schlep it. You may also be able to find a darkroom in Australia and process it there. Chemicals should be available - don't try to take those with you.

6. Changing holders along the way - a changing bag works but you have to swear a lot and they can accumulate dust. Or you can go into an inside room (a bathroom), shove a couple of towels under the door, and turn the lights out. And if you can find darkrooms along the way, you have it made.