Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: a bigger backpack

Re: a bigger backpack

I should add I like the f64 packs too for their light weight and low bulk relative to other dedicated photo packs. However their suspension system is simple and IMO not adequate for long treks with lots of weight. For those situations, I use the large f64 as the insert for my Dana.

Here is a shot showing the two combined -- that's the f64 Large pack and a Gitzo 1325 pod with Arca head for size relation. The combined weight of those two packs is 9 pounds (4 kilos) and is less than what a Lowe Super Trekker weighs by itself, yet it will carry a lot more equipment a lot more comfortably:

Cheers,
    Jack Flesher

www.getdpi.com

I'm using a Lowe Super Trekker AW. It's plenty big enough for my 4x5 kit, but the sumbitch has the worst suspension of any pack I ever had on my back. I've been considering making some inserts for my old external-frame Kelty.

Photographer

Two other alternatives to a larger pack: Carry less stuff, e.g., four lenses instead of six; or, get a pouch that attaches to the outside of your current Lowepro to carry some of the stuff. I have a separate Lowepro pack that is meant to be a daypack that attaches to the outside that I use when I'm doing a long hike. I also have a smaller pouch that I got years ago from EMS that I use for lunch, waterbottle, fleece vest, etc.
    Keith Pitman

grumpy & miserable Joseph O'Neil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Davenport View Post
    I'm using a Lowe Super Trekker AW. It's plenty big enough for my 4x5 kit, but the sumbitch has the worst suspension of any pack I ever had on my back. I've been considering making some inserts for my old external-frame Kelty.
    That is something I have found too. You never realize how uncomfortable a backpack is until you try something different & better fitting or better adjusted for weight. I also find even when I use the waist strap, the weight shifts badly for me on steep inclines, and can throw off your centre of gravity.

joe
    eta gosha maaba, aaniish gaa zhiwebiziyin ?