Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: a bigger backpack

Re: a bigger backpack

Can you add a SlipLock pouch for the extra lens? LowePro makes several simple pouch designs. I added a couple of the largest Sliplock 60 AW to my CompuTrekker for the occaissional extras I might want to carry. This would be cheaper than getting another bag, especially if you are already comfortable with your LowePro Classic.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post

But it was a nice pack...huge. I use to put the pack I had my 4x5 in down inside the Gregory for 11 day backpack trips down into the Grand Canyon -- back in the days when I could carry 85 pounds (and I wonder why I have knee problems, LOL!)

Vaughn
    I think I could crawl into a Gregory Whitney and close the zipper behind me Bit much for not being more then a few hours from the car.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_3536 View Post
    I think I could crawl into a Gregory Whitney and close the zipper behind me Bit much for not being more then a few hours from the car.
    My Gregory did not seem so big -- after all, I was 6'4" and 220 pounds of muscle from buildling and maintaining trails in the wilderness all summer and planting trees in the winter. It has been 16 years since I stopped doing that kind of work and now I'm 6'3" if I really stretch and 240 lbs -- of which 30 pounds is definitely not muscle!

But then I try to keep my pack down to 65 pounds now...and I stop a lot to enjoy the views! If I ever want to take the 8x10 into the wilderness, I am afraid that will mean mules or llamas!

Vaughn

Terence

I've been looking at the Osprey Atmos 65 as my next bag, and handing over the Gregory to my brother.

Mine might be a slightly older version. It looks identical, and the only difference in description is that the waist belt now has mesh pockets.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    My Gregory did not seem so big -- after all, I was 6'4" and 220 pounds of muscle from buildling and maintaining trails in the wilderness all summer and planting trees in the winter. It has been 16 years since I stopped doing that kind of work and now I'm 6'3" if I really stretch and 240 lbs -- of which 30 pounds is definitely not muscle!

But then I try to keep my pack down to 65 pounds now...and I stop a lot to enjoy the views! If I ever want to take the 8x10 into the wilderness, I am afraid that will mean mules or llamas!

Vaughn
    You've got a good six inches on me. I can lift the weight but it's still a big back next to me

grumpy & miserable Joseph O'Neil's Avatar

HI guys;
    Well so far, my best answer looks like a combination to two things. I like the individual cases on the Photobackpacker web page. They look neat, and i have had a couple people off list reccomend those to me.

Then I do have a good store not far form me that has an excellent selection of all sorts and styles of backpacks, so with the cases ahead of time, I might then go get a decent fitting backpack.

The one bit of advice that what works for one person might be a disaster for antother is right on., but keep tlaking, I am geting good idea.
    joe
    eta gosha maaba, aaniish gaa zhiwebiziyin ?

Hey Joseph, I have several LowePro's, inc a couple of phototrekkers. The newer phototrekker AWII is a little larger than the classic you have, also a little squarer so may have the extra room you need?
    I have just bought a supertrekker and they can be quite large it has to be said.

They are criticised for being heavy, but I find that they fit so well and are rigid enough that weight is less of an issue than with a poor fitting or "soft framed" pack.

Lowepro do make a series of cases that are designed to fit in the Peli cases, they would work really well if you can find a backpack of the same dimensions etc. Also they have just released the new Vertex range which may have sizes thet work for you.

Last but not least, the Tamrac Expedition series look good from what I have seen in the stores. The larger one looked a little bigger than my phototrekkers.

I am considering getting a Tachi in the next week or two, how do you find the rigidity for the weight?

Cheers

Gari

Quote Originally Posted by gari beet View Post
    Hey Joseph,
    Lowepro do make a series of cases that are designed to fit in the Peli cases...
    Cheers

Gari
    This is the LowePro Omni Series - the Omni Sport fits my Ebony RW45E and my old SV45U2 quite well. This is the first thing that I put in my pack - it fits perfectly at the bottom of the main compartment.

I have two Gnass lens cases and two other accessories bags stacked on top of the Omni Sport - this compartmentalized approach works well for me. The pack is a waterproof top-loader - the Arcteryx Bora55.

I use an F64 8x10 backpack for my 4x5 system (Tachihara, 5 lenses, light meter, filters, dark cloth, a few other accessories and about as many holders as I want to carry but usually I carry about 6-10 or one box of Readyloads plus holder. That leaves plenty of room in the top compartment for water bottle, lunch, etc. I also have a LowePro Trekker 4x5 pack of some sort, I forget the model designation but at the time I bought it I believe it was the second largest pack LowePro made. I like the F64 8x10 much better, it holds more and weighs less.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

- Josephf -

I am in a very similar situation, I have Tachihara 4x5 and by now 3 lenses (out of which one is 400mm tele) + DSLR insted of aspotmeter - and also find the Lowepro too bulky. I am saving money for the Kinesis Journeyman P450 togerher with their optional accesories like the V092 case and the film holder pouch F500. Their stuff looks well done, users seem to like it and it is thought out in a very clever way what I like. For the lenses I plan to get a lens case from Photobackpacker. I already have their camera case I like a lot (very light and strong enough for me).

The only problem is that the total price will go above $300 . But on the other hand you can use the V092 case separately for a minimal setup.

The F.64 back designed for 8x10 look also interesting to me as it has two separate departements what I find nice for a long day trips.

Good luck.