Thread: Your experience w/new Osprey rolling carry-on suitcase/backpack?

Your experience w/new Osprey rolling carry-on suitcase/backpack?

Has anyone lugged their 4x5 kit around in the new Osprey 22-liter rolling carry-on/backpack? It looked pretty slick in the store. Backpack harness stows elegantly, completely out of sight behind a panel. You can (1) lug it as a bag with its strap handle, (2) roll it down the sidewalk/concourse by pulling out the telescoping handle (just like regular carry-ons)--and it has relatively big (4.5" dia) wheels, or (3) backpack it. I was very intrigued, but at $209 per, I wanted to see if any other photog was using it.

Re: Your experience w/new Osprey rolling carry-on suitcase/backpack?

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Collins View Post
    Has anyone lugged their 4x5 kit around in the new Osprey 22-liter rolling carry-on/backpack? It looked pretty slick in the store. [...] ...but at $209 per, I wanted to see if any other photog was using it.
    Apparently, after 90+ views and no replies, this is a new thingy by Osprey, and forum members haven't used it!

Thanks!

I have a couple of Osprey packs and like them a lot. I went to the Osprey site to check out the one you reference and never found any dimensions other than the volume. No width, height or depth info. (stupid flash site, all show and no go) It looks good but how big is it? I'd like to have such a thing for my 8x10 and 3-4 holders. Would this pack hold that?

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Ambrose View Post
    I have a couple of Osprey packs and like them a lot. [...] I'd like to have such a thing for my 8x10 and 3-4 holders. Would this pack hold that?
    It appeared to be about midway between a Kelty Redwing 3100 and K Redwing 2650, which I saw at the same time. So, it might be a close call for that 8x10 and associated gear!

ciao for now.....

Are you talking about the Vector 22"?

If so, I can't help you, but I have the 28" Meridian pack for my 8x10 Phillips Compact II. In the pack I can carry 3 lenses in a box at the base, the camera, food, etc in the main pack.

I carry 4 film holders, light meter, dark cloth and cable releases in the removable pack. That way I can put the camera on the tripod and leave the main pack behind, but still be able to travel lightly.

I originally bought the 22" version and could fit everything in the pack, but had no room for food.

I like food, so that wasn't an option.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John T View Post
    Are you talking about the Vector 22"?

John
    I'm referring to the Osprey Sojourn, 22 inch or 28 inch high. The Osprey Vector looks like the Sojourn, but doesn't have the shoulder harness/hip belt for backpacking, according to the www dot rei dot com web page.

Peter