Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: huge voigtlander & sohn lens help

Re: huge voigtlander & sohn lens help

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_1856 View Post
    You paid $800 for this without knowing any more than the ebay listing?
    Actually, looking at the photos I think he did just fine. I would pay that for it if it were offered.

Could you use a big bridge out there in the desert, Jim?
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_1856 View Post
    Could you use a big bridge out there in the desert, Jim?
    Sure! How much?

Hi Kel,

Mine is 6inch across the hood and only 115mm across the glass SO I guess yours would be for 11x14 or larger at portrait distance. Yours could be retro-fit with a Studio #5 shutter like Wollensak did at their factory BUT it might reduce the max. aperture. Looks nice and works well and can also give you a different mounting point to balance the beast. Have fun finding a #5 Studio shutter in usable shape.

Enjoy it. I'll PM when the other is ready.

At the risk of hijacking this thread, the space ship that those little green men use to bring all of your lenses must have some kind of thrust-to-weight capability, Jim. No wonder it's hard to find stuff like that in the northwest, they run out of fuel in the Nevada desert before they can make it this far north! That's one impressive set up of magnum photo gear in "your" corner (I'm assuming that's what's been relagated to you). Where do you sleep?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Metcalf View Post
    At the risk of hijacking this thread, the space ship that those little green men use to bring all of your lenses must have some kind of thrust-to-weight capability, Jim. No wonder it's hard to find stuff like that in the northwest, they run out of fuel in the Nevada desert before they can make it this far north! That's one impressive set up of magnum photo gear in "your" corner (I'm assuming that's what's been relagated to you). Where do you sleep?
    The green guys crab and complain about the big brass lenses. "What the hell's wrong with a Dagor boss?" When they brought me the big brass Voigtlander they had to leave Floyd in St. Louis and go back and get him a couple of days later. He really crabbed about that.

I don't know if this sheds much light, but according to an old catalog I have, Voightlander & Sohn made a 4th Series lens which was an Extra Rapid Euryscope lens with its largest being size 9. That lens had a lens diameter of 6 1/2 inches and an equivalent focal length of 46 inches. I could not find any other Voightlander lens with a diameter similar to the one you purchased. If you have this Series 9 lens, then according to their catalog, that lens was intended for a Portrait or Group picture of 30x36 inches and landscapes of 40 x 50 inches. (talk about ULF) Also, it sold for a mere $890.00! That was a LOT of $s over 100 years ago when the lens was made......and people think the new Cooke Convertibles are expensive.

Their 3rd Series Portrait-Euryscop was listed as a number 8A and had a lens diameter of 5 inches and an equivalent focus of 25 inches and was made for a 17x20 plate....it sold for $426.50.

In this Voightlander & Sohn Catalog, I could not find anyother lens, except for the 2 lens I have described which even comes close in size your lens.

I agree with Jim, you have a very nice lens an the price you paid for it is not out of line given its size!

Let us know when you get your new lens in your hands what you calculate its focal length to be.

With all due deference to those who more knowledgeable than myself and a review of this old Voightlander & Sohn catalog, I am betting you lens is an early version of the Extra Rapid Euryscope.....even though it is not marked as such.

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

It looks like a Petzval to me - if it's an Euryskop, it will be an Aplanat/Rapid Rectilinear. You'd better take a close look at the reflections.

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Tjugen View Post
    It looks like a Petzval to me - if it's an Euryskop, it will be an Aplanat/Rapid Rectilinear. You'd better take a close look at the reflections.
    Me too. Too long to be a Euryscop. Classic brass cannon. Probably 25-27" focal length?

The lowest numbers given by Hartmut Thiele for Voigtländer lenses are 24.450 - 39.465 for the period 1884 - 1890. So your # 21506 should have been made before 1884. This rules out any Euryskop clearly marked Euryskop Serie II- VIII, because these were introduced not earlier than1887. There is only the non-"Serie" Euryskop that was made before 1884: F7.2 aplanats in seven f.l. ranging from127 to 1070mm.

If your lens hasn't the stop positioned right in the middle between front and rear lens surfaces I'd say it's a Petzval.