Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lens Choices for 4x5

Lens Choices for 4x5

I just got my first real 4x5 and it came with a Schneider APO 135mm lens. I want to keep this lens.

I am thinking of getting a 210mm but my thoughts are to get a 180mm and a 240mm because the 135-210 gap is too big.

Any thoughts on this?

Re: Lens Choices for 4x5

My lenses are 90, 150 and 254. The difference between each "step" in the progression is roughly 1.67 X the preceding FL. I find the difference manageable.

The jump from 135 to 210 is less, only 1.55X, so IMO it's not a problem. YMMV.

My first lens was the Fuji A 240mm f9. I'm very glad that I own this beauty but I regret using the 240mm focal length as the basis for my quiver's design.

Funny you should be going that route. While our needs for imaging might be different, I too started with a Symmar-S 135mm (similar to your newer APO). The difference might be that I had a Zeiss 21cm f4.5, so I was able to test out whether I wanted to use a 210mm (or maybe a Nikon 200mm).

What I found was that I wanted more movement than the 135mm I had, and I wanted a slightly more cropped view, just not as much cropping as with the 210mm. After lots of searching, I found a very nice Nikkor-W 180mm f5.6 through the help of MPEX.

Unfortunately, I have not been able to use the 180mm as much as I would like, though I did find out that it is basically as much as I wanted. I think any other direction for me might involve a shorter focal length, maybe a 75mm. Anyway, that is down the road a bit, since I don't have an immediate need for that wide view.

I didn't really think about the gap in lens angle of view between 135mm and 210mm, so much as I considered what working distance I wanted, and how much of a subject or scene I wanted at those working distances. This is more what led me to a 180mm. The downsides of this focal length is that many of the lenses at 180mm are starting to get large, and there just are not as many choices on the used market at reasonable prices. If you are patient, and really want a 180mm, you should be able to find a good lens at a good value.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio

Thanks everyone for writing.

My other camera set-up is a Hasselblad (sounds like a bumper sticker). I have a 50-80-150. All perspectives that I like.

I might just avoid the 210 for now and go for the 135-180-240 set-up.

Why not borrow various focal length to see if they match how you see. 135mm focal length is very traditional and very useful. Jumping down to a 90mm and up to a 210mm is a very natural progression that many people use. Doesn't make it right for your photography, nor does it make it wrong.

I'd first learn to see with the 135mm for a time, before buying a bunch of stuff others say they use.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Good point Walter. I guess I should just wing it for now.

I worked for a long time with just the 80 for my Hasselblad. It was a great learning experience.

You can also try a little preview, at least if your APO work sort of like my Symmar-S. Remove the front lens elements from the shutter, and just mount the shutter and rear group to your camera. Then rack the bellows and front standard out to near 235mm, and see if you get a somewhat dimmer image on the ground glass. Older Schneider 135mm lenses could be used this way, with the aperture numbers around double (f11.0 closer to f22.0 with only rear group in shutter). If it works on your APO, then you have a preview idea for a 240mm.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio

multiplex

david

pro stores sometimes have
    lenses to rent ... not sure if
    where you are there are any ...

good luck!
    john

The gap between 210 and 135 is not as bad as you might think. A lot of us have lenses with intervals of 1.5 or 1.6x between focal lengths. For example, the difference between my 150 and my 240 (a common pairing) is actually greater than the difference between a 135 and a 210.

I'd say keep the 135, and add a 90 and a 210. That's a great three lens kit with room to grow (such as adding a 300mm).