Thread: Turner-Reich Convertible Anastigmat: Coverage Issues

Turner-Reich Convertible Anastigmat: Coverage Issues

I recently purchased an 8x10 Turner-Reich Convertible Series II Anastigmat on the cheap to scavenge its Alphax shutter. Surprisingly, I found the lens in beautiful shape with coated glass and no sign of separation. Not at all what I expected.

So rather than immediately scavenging the shutter and trashing the glass, I have decided to give the lens a try. I spent a bit of time today just playing with it on an 8x10, examining the ground glass with a good loupe. The lens is respectably sharp, even when converted, and shows no sign (by eye) of focus shift. This is certainly more than I need for contact prints.

Dissapointment came when I realized that its image circle with both elements in place (12.4"/315mm) is really quite tight on 8x10. I would guess that the lens covers 14"/360mm at f22, just under 60 degrees (no filters or rings attached). The individual elements (19", 25") illuminate quite a bit more, but I don't know how much of the circle is sharp.

Can any Turner-Reich user out there shed some light on this? Are your TR lenses tight on their slated formats?

Re: Turner-Reich Convertible Anastigmat: Coverage Issues

They're really very long compared to a Dagor. 5 glasses / 3 glasses. Mechanically limited by length of barrel. Cooke had the same problem with their convertible of the same length but made the front light quite a bit wider to help it some.

Ah well, I had great hopes that it was just something stupid I was doing, but I guess not. It is looking like the lens will be recycled...

StayAtHome Dad & Photog

Recycled?!?!? Dude, if you really don't want the glass just give it to me. I'll find a way to make it work as a silly long lens on 4x5 if nothing else ...

William
    4x5 and a Tessar is heaven
    "I beg to dream and differ from the hollow lies..." Green Day

I am using one that is 12"/21"/28"...using it as a 28" because I already have nice sharp 19" RD Artar and a Fuji W 300mm. This is on an 8x10.

I might be using it poorly and still getting use to it, but I was disappointed in my corner sharpness (I am using a orangey filter with it -- actually a warming filter, and the 28" element is on the backside of the shutter). Perhaps a nice strong yellow would be better.

Vaughn

But it is kindof neat to get those bellows out to their max!

No me, no me, give it to me 'cause I'm sure its limited image circle is no good for anyone else. I'll simply make do with it on 4x5 and 5x7. Grin.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

William and Walter, thanks for your concern but the lens probably won't be going to the curb in the blue bag on Tuesday with the wine bottles.

It's mounted in an Alphax? That's a good shutter but not the original mount. It would be better in a Betax or and Ilex.

Sometimes the mount is not worthy of the mounter.

tr

Quote Originally Posted by Turner Reich View Post
    It's mounted in an Alphax? That's a good shutter but not the original mount. It would be better in a Betax or and Ilex.

Sometimes the mount is not worthy of the mounter.

tr
    Somebody obviously put hundreds of dollars of work into this lens. It is coated, which I can only assume is after-market. To open the cells (for recementing and coating) the same person cut off the burnished edges and put a beautiful threaded replacement. I suppose they also replaced the shutter with the Alphax. Odd.

Do you, Turner-Reich, have any comments on the coverage of these lenses? I can only assume from your handle that you use them

I have them in sizes 4x5, 5x7, 8x10, 11x14. I have several in all but the 4x5 which I only have one. Each and every one covers with movements the format that it was designed for. AA, EW, Strand and many others used them with great success, you can't blame the lenses, they are well made and have lasted for a decade and are still in operation world wide. I have Goertz, Ektars, and some others also. Tiny bubbles won't bother the image and edge creep won't either. The balsom separation is no big concern, just stop down or use as is. The Alphax shutter is a hard, sturdy, durable, long lasting shutter that won't be a disappointment to you. It cost's, like you said, hundreds to get a lens put into a mount so someone spent some big money on that lens, don't waste it.