Thread: Goertz Dagor Lens Information

Goertz Dagor Lens Information

I have been away from my Large Format camera for quite a few years. I am now ret urning to it and would like some update information.

I have an Arca Swiss 4x5 Camera and a Goertz Dagor Lens. Can you provide me wit h information about my lens?

Goertz Dagor F 6.8 Focus 10 3/4 in (Translates to about 270 mm) with a Alphax Synchromatic shutter (top speed 1/50 sec)

Any information about the lens (quality as compared to current? or other) and wh at other lens would be a ggood complement to this (90 mm?)

Thanks for all your help and any advice you may be able to give. I hope to re-l earn and then help others with their questions in the future.

Tom

What is the serial number? Is it a coated lens? What is the name of the company? It says Goertz, but is it the Goertz American Optical Co., a Berlin Goertz, etc.? These details can help determine the quality, age, source of your lens.

Try these two sites for info on older lenses. The Graphlex site: http://www.graflex.org/ and Chris Perez site: http://www.hevanet.com/cperez/index.html The Goertz lenses are still admired by many people today, and still gives good images. Maybe have a CLA done to get the shutter in good condition, and enjoy. A normal 150-180 would be my next choice, but Im sure others would recommend the 90 for landscapes.

Is the lens inscribed Goertz or Goerz?

Additional information: I have rechecked the lens and found that it is indeed "Goerz" not Goertz". It also has the following "No. 752828".

Does this no help and what is the difference between Goerz and Goertz lenses?

Thanks For the great help!!

Tom

Almost everything you could ask for is here:

http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~qtluong/photography/lf/classic- experts.html

On a less technical note, I have a Goertz Gold Rim Dagor (12") and I love it! Sharp as the sharpest tack you can find! Handles color and black and white like a champ. You can have it when you pry it from my cold, dead fingers. Or am I obsessing?

Hi Tom, I have the 12" version, and I like the "look" they produce. I use mine on 4*5 and 8*10, and I used it on scenery and people. I'd think yours at 10 1/2" might make some fine portraits. You might be able to get some interesting soft focus effects around f8 or f11 from chromatic stuff and try it with the camera close to the subject to take advantage of a flat field. I wouldn't give up on that lens until I had made a lot of negatives with it, IMHO. I understand that is supposed to be one of the better older shutters too.

I made a mistake on the spelling. As far as I know, it's only had one spelling -- Goerz. If your lens is factory coated, then it probably has excellent contrast. Wisner did a comparison (several years ago) between the Goerz and a Schneider Symmar 150, and found the Dagor to have greater contrast.

I've read that lenses made by the Goerz American Optical Co. are more consistent in their quality. I have a 7" coated Goerz American Optical Co. f6.8 Dagor that has given me some excellent photographs.

Dagors are not meant to be used wide open; they should be stopped down to at least f16. At f22, they have image circles similar to those of modern plasmat designs at the same aperture. For example, I have documentation which states that a Goerz Golden Dagor 270mm f6.8 has an image circle of 378mm. (This covers about 69deg.) The golden Dagors were of the same design as earlier lenses.

I've heard that the later golden and gold dot Dagors were made with more up-to-date glass and that the most recent Dagors had elements that were aligned using laser technology. They command a higher price.