Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Beseler motor base with Jobo Expert Drum - a question

Beseler motor base with Jobo Expert Drum - a question

After finally collecting all the pieces I wanted for my b&w film development - a Jobo Expert drum and a Unicolor reversing motor base, I noticed that the base does not give the drum a full revolution before it reverses, but only about 3/4 of it. It also seemed a little too slow.

So, I got another motor base, this time Beseler, but the same thing happens with this one too, although the motor feels a little stronger, but not that much.

Is this normal or is it not enough of a rotation?

I'm thinking about maybe trying to adjust the reversal time, it looks easy enough, but would rather hear opinions of those who are already using this combo.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Beseler motor base with Jobo Expert Drum - a question

I'm debating with myself if it (really) needs to be a reversing system or not?? This said after having used a (homemade) single direction system with a expert drum 3010 for more than a year and not been able to see any signs of un-even development. I would very much like to hear from others in this matters. Yes the preference would have been for reversing, but what if? If not?

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Not enough rotation. You need at least a full rotation to wet all of the tubes.

Eric Biggerstaff

I don't have the reverse on my Beseler and it works just fine, very even development with my 301o. I start it and just let it go, some may advise flipping the tank the other direction from time to time but I have not even found that to be an issue.
    Eric Biggerstaff

www.ericbiggerstaff.com

I opened up both of them and the system seems to be pretty simple - there is a switch inside with a non-electrolytic capacitor of about 1-2 microFarads soldered paralel to contacts. Sounds as if the time between reversals is determined by the time needed to charge the capacitor. If so, installing a higher capacity should increase the time between reversals.

Before I do it, though, I'd rather make sure if it is necessary at all and if so, how much.

Thanks for the answers, guys.

Brian, that's what I thought too. Oh, well, seems I'll get to dust off my soldering iron...

The problem is finding the parts, funny as it may sound - I thought that's what Radio Shack and Fry's are good for, but apparently the times have changed since the last time I did a diy project. I wanted to build a shutter tester recently and the guys at my local Radio Shack just looked blank at me when I asked for a phototransistor. They didn't even know what that was, much less have it in the store! Same thing in Fry's.

So, here's another question: can anybody recommend a place for buying small electronic components, either a store in the LA area or on the Web?

I normally let the rotor base run in one direction and occasionally hit the reverse button once and awhile (to make me feel better) then back again. I never noticed any streaking by doing this. Actually on small developing runs of four or less 4x5 B&W sheet film, I use the tray. I only use the tank and base for color for better temp control. The Beseler tubes, if I recall were smaller in diameter and they would get a complete rotation. You can flip the drum to get reverse direction too.
    Last edited by Greg Lockrey; 18-May-2007 at 17:57.
    Greg Lockrey

Wealth is a state of mind.
    Money is just a tool.
    Happiness is pedaling +25mph on a smooth road.

Dear Marko,

I may be able to answer most of your question, since I have an Expert Drum that holds five sheets of 8X10 film, the Unicolor Uniroller motor base, and the Beseler motor base too...

I discovered that my equipment will only process two 8X10 sheets of film, since the Unicolor motorized base does not make a complete revolution, where the two sheets of film are properly positioned within the solution during the partial rotation cycle. I placed a piece of tape on the outside of the drum, marking the opposite side of the drum holding the two sheets of film, to have a reference point for the film in solution. I use the reference marker when I exchange the solution and place the drum back onto the Unicolor motorized base, ensuring the film is set properly within the solution.

It works for me, and although I am limited to two sheets per session, it does the job quite nicely. I do have a Beseler motor base with continuous rotation if the Unicolor motor base decides to quit working. I tried the Beseler motor base once, and I have not used it again, so my experience there is terribly limited.

jim k

Michael E. Gordon

I have a single direction dual-action agitator from Chromega ($10 ebay special). I develop with Rollo Pyro and a 3010, and flip the drum every 30 seconds. This has always worked just fine, and I've never had one instance of uneven development.

I use both a 3006 and 3010 with a beseler base modified to run only in one direction. It did reverse, but did not do a full turn. It used a mechanical switch, which I disabled. I can reverse the drum with a switch, which I did for a while, but have ignored for the last 1000 sheets, with no visible problems. I would encourage you to use a presoak with the drum running to really wet the film evenly, this seems to reduce the chance of streaks when you pour the developer in.