Thread: lens caps for 90mm Grandagon

lens caps for 90mm Grandagon

Hi,

After much saving, I am investing in a 90mm Grandagon N f4.5 lens. I have to wait a while for this, but in the meantime want to protect my investment with some SK Grimes lens caps, after hearing much negative stuff about the rubbish things that come with the Rodenstock.

I mailed SK with the dimensions found on the net somewhere, and wondered if anyone could confirm these are correct, because SK have mailed me back to say it would be better to have the lens to hand (not possible, I am in the uk), and only if I am sure the dimensions are correct could they make them up with assurance they will fit.

This is what I have:

push on mount: 85mm front, 70mm rear, filter thread 82mm

Now, your collective wisdom. Please tell me if there is no problem with the rodenstock caps, should I get the SK ones? Or is there a decent alternative more readily available?

Thanks in anticipation

Steve

Re: lens caps for 90mm Grandagon

Steve, I use a Schneider cap with mine. My 90/4.5 is c.1991 and I bought used from KEH a couple of years ago. It arrived with the Schneider "SN 223-32" (engraved on inside) front cap and the Rodenstock rear. I store all my lenses in Gnass cases and they survive well.

Hi Steve. I have replaced all the push-on caps with simple spring clip types. You can buy cheap makes or themore expensive B+W types. In the UK places like Speedgraphic are good, or even try your local Jessops?

Peter

My (used) Grandagon came with soft plastic Rodenstock caps that stay on better than any clip on caps I've ever had. My caps have a fairly wide flange(?) that grips the lens nice and snugly. I never worry about them falling off.
    Peter

I'm using Tamron snap-on caps for all lenses, all formats. They have the "center pinch" design that resists being knocked off by sideswipes. They are quite stiff and have about 1.5mm of relief above the level of the filter thread. They're also economical and available from the larger online stores. The only disadvantage is that they aren't available in the smaller sizes (below 49mm).

Steve,

We are only the Rodenstock distriputor for the USA so we have more experience with more owners then anyone who posts here. In the 21 years that we have been the Rodenstock distributor we have not received more then 5 complaints regarding the caps and exactly 1 complaint regarding a cap actually causing problems with a lens.

Why would the factory want to supply expensive lenses with caps that would damage a lens that is used as a professional tool? They nor we nor Rodenstock dealers do not have a problem with the caps. Nor do the thousands of users who have bought lenses with these caps.

Buy the lens and enjoy it. Spend the money on filters and other useful items. You don't need a custom made cap for protection.

Hi Bob,

That's great to hear! And also that you take the time to look on this forum and respond. I'll take you at your word, forget about the caps.

Maybe you can answer another question on this lens. I do want to put a UV filter as protection on the front. Is there a specific make you could recommend. I do know that some lenses have a rather bulbous front element and I wouldn't like to screw on something that is going to make contact with the glass.

And finally, in your opinion, is a centre filter needed? I'm not a pro but am extremely critical of my own work. I shoot mainly landscapes and architecture.

Regards

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by butterfly View Post
    Hi Bob,

That's great to hear! And also that you take the time to look on this forum and respond. I'll take you at your word, forget about the caps.

Maybe you can answer another question on this lens. I do want to put a UV filter as protection on the front. Is there a specific make you could recommend. I do know that some lenses have a rather bulbous front element and I wouldn't like to screw on something that is going to make contact with the glass.

And finally, in your opinion, is a centre filter needed? I'm not a pro but am extremely critical of my own work. I shoot mainly landscapes and architecture.

Regards

Steve
    The Heliopan SH-PMC UV filters.

Do you need a center filter? That depends on what you personally shoot, on what you shoot it with and what you will do with it after you shoot it.

From general experience yes you will want one for outdoor wok as you can not overlight the edges as you can in a studio.

But just do some shots of what you typically shoot. The way you typically shoot. And with the medium you typically shoot.

That will answer your question better then anyone else can.

Do you like the "wide angle look" without the filter? Then don't buy one.
    Does the fall off that is called the "wide angle effect" bother you? Then buy the filter.

If you use movements the fall off may no longer be symettrical. Does that bother you? Then buy the filter.

Bear in mind that no center filter is truly neutral. This becomes most obvious when shooting things like sunlit aluminum on high bukdings. Under this condition you may detct a magenta or green (depends on the filter) cast in the center of the buliding in the aluminum. The current Rodenstock filters are the most neutral of all center filters and the least likely to do this. If you are shooting scenes of woods, mountains or lakes rather then buildings then this effect will not be noticeable.

Bob,

I very much appreciate your advice. Thanks very much. When the lens comes, will test it out before deciding on a centre filter. Heliopan filters, uv, ND and polarising ordered!

Regards

Steve

Confidently Agnostic!

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Mounier View Post
    My (used) Grandagon came with soft plastic Rodenstock caps that stay on better than any clip on caps I've ever had. My caps have a fairly wide flange(?) that grips the lens nice and snugly. I never worry about them falling off.
    Peter
    I have the caltar-engraved version of the grandagon 90 f/6.8 with push on plastic caps which as far as I can tell are the same as the rodenstock caps, and they stay on very well. My only complaint is that dust tends to adhere to them due to static electricity, which makes it necessary to puff the front & rear of my lenses with a bulb blower pretty much every time I use them. Otherwise the lens caps work well, and I definitely don't have to worry about them coming off.