Thread: Affordable good backpacks for 8x10 field

Affordable good backpacks for 8x10 field

Anyone got any good recs on backpacks big enough for an 8x10 field witth room for lenses holders and possibly a strap for tripod.
    holla

Re: Affordable good backpacks for 8x10 field

Before I got a super trekker I used an older version of this:
    http://www.jansport.com/js_product_d...id=44&pid=TFA7
    Maybe you can find a used one on ebay?

in fact this one's more like it http://cgi.ebay.com/Jansport-Externa...QQcmdZViewItem
    Last edited by paul stimac; 16-May-2007 at 14:36. Reason: ad a liine

I recommend dropping in on an REI or Eastern Mountain Sport if any are in your area.

Me, I use a Lowepro backpack for my 8x10 gear, but may "GAS" got the better of me, so I need a separate bag for the lenses. Ouch.

Good luck.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

I like the f64 8x10 back pack. It may not be the pack if you do overnight hikes - I'm sure for real long hauls a pack such as a Kelty designed specifically for that would be better - but for day hikes or just walking around I've liked mine. It comfortably holds an 8x10 camera (Deardorff), three lenses on boards, light meter, the usual accessories, and three film holders. I also have a LowePro and like the f64 better. The LowePro weighs something like five or six pounds before you even put anything in it.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

I use a MCI pack designed for travelers. It has a detachable daypack that holds 5 8x10 holders. Inside, I made my own divider to carry the Zone VI 8x10 on the bottom and lenses, meter, darkcloth, et al above the camera. I can stash 2 to 3 more 8x10 holders inside if I want to. I can also put my Ries head in there if I am hiking a long way before taking photos (such as returning after the light leaves.) This makes carrying the A100 much easier after a long day!

There are two long pockets that run the length of the pack on each side, that are tucked in behind zippers if not in use. Good for water and snacks. And there is a panel that zips over the entire back to hide the shoulder and waist straps if not being carried. Assorted gear like lens cleaner, note book, anti-static brush, flashlight, etc go in the zippered pocket of the daypack (which I rarely ever take off the pack.)

The front panel unzips for easy access -- and it zips down all the way. Very comfortable to carry (about 45 to 50 pounds w/o tripod) all day. heavy-duty zippers, well constructed. I think I paid $135 (new) for it many years ago.

If you are interested, I will take a couple photos of it and post them. But I just found it at a local camping store, so keep your eyes open -- one never knows!

Vaughn

The only complaint -- the waist belt does loosen up over time -- but not a big enough problem to get me to put a different buckle system on it yet.

Hello, have you tried:www.photobackpacker.com They make a modified version of the Kelty back pack, all custom and very afordable, NOT like other camera backpacks that run 300 and up!
    Hope you like them
    Phillip

I can second the f64. Its not the most popular but it serves me well. My 8 x 10 lives in it. I put the camera in ground glass up and then cover it with my extra large dark cloth. If I put in a couple of holders its quite full! - I usually care holders in a different bag. - have fun!