Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Compur 00 size shutter?

Re: Compur 00 size shutter?

I have several #00 shutter view lenses, including a modified 58mm XL Grandagon in a sunken custom-made recessed board, and a 65mm Sinar Super Anugulon F8 with original center filter (which helps a lot).

These are good shutters. Sinar offered them for many years to use on the Norma cameras. They can be easily cleaned by a good repairperson.

Hi. didnt get the lens. Was sniped by £10. I'm sure there'll be another opurtunity soon!
    Also theres a swiss gang that supply sinar lensboards on ebay and for 20 euro extra on the cost they will machine a 00 lensboard. thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    David, threaded bushings to allow the cells to be mounted properly in a #0 or #1 will cost more than the lens is worth.
    Yes, I've confirmed this with the guys at SK Grimes. To remount a SA f8/65 into a Copal 0 shutter would cost > $300 (and that's when you provide the shutter).

An additional problem is that the lens housing is wide enough that the lens can't be mounted deeply enough into the shutter. I ran into this problem when trying to use a #00 shutter from a 35mm folder; the front element can't be screwed into the shutter completely because the lens housing bumps into the inner edge of the shutter. The SK Grimes guys said the same problem will likely happen when trying to mount the lens in a new Copal #0 (could add a couple hundred dollars to the bill).

The best option seems to find a beat up SA 65 with an original shutter and have it CLA'd. But beware that a CLA for a #00 shutter (because of it's small size) is often more expensive than for a #0 or #1. My local shutter repair shop quoted me $150. Alas, it's an expensive problem to solve.

Look for a #00 Prontor Press.

Kevin, while the 65mm only just covers 5x4 it is a great little lens, and can be extremely useful.

Mine has allowed me to make some superb images in very small light locations, we have those in Britain & Ireland, quite different to many of the wide open landscapes of North America.

Ian

Also some of those 00 shutters don't have a cable release socket. So check it out if that's important to you.