Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cheap E6 mail-order lab for 5x7

Cheap E6 mail-order lab for 5x7

I am looking for a decent mail-order lab which can process 5x7 transparencies inexpensively.

My local lab charges me $4 for a 5x7 sheet ($4.75 pushed/pulled). I have seen Fleshtone Miami 800-625-4202 advertise $2.5 for a 8x10 sheet, and would have given them a try, unfortunately they don't have 5x7 racks. I have not been that satisfied recently with Flatiron color lab.

Any suggestions ? It can be constly coming back from a trip with several dozens of transparencies...

www.hollandphoto.com, $2.50 for 5x7, donno decent or not.

This brings up a question that I have. I started doing my MF myself, and I have been doing the few LF E-6 that I have. I'm not a color guy but I have been very pleased and it seems to be very inexpensive(yes it takes some time but I usually find something to do while waiting). The results seem to be very good. And I think it's one of the more enjoyable processes (I'm always amazed!)and the chemicals seem to have a fair shelf life, and the process is real easy, with minimal equipment(most of it already in the average Darkroom). But I don't hear of to many people trying it. What am I missing?

Mac:

I have done it for some time [wow, we are talking decades now, I am getting old; it seems just yesterday that I had to coat my own plates in the tent and watch out for the Indian attack]. It is easy to do. It just depends on the time required. If your time doing other things is more valuable; pay someone else to do it. If not, you can do it yourself.

Best wishes,,,,

I wouldn't commit ALL at once, but try Flatiron Color in NYC. I have been happy with their work-affordable and excellent turnaround time.

Old School Wayne

You might try Prolab in Seattle. I dont know if they do 5x7 but they've done my 4x5's for years and I've rarely had a problem, and their prices are better than most.

As for why more people dont do it at home....I used to do it about 10-12 years ago and I found it nearly impossible to maintain the strict temp control that is necessary. Plus, after an hour or more of setup, processing and cleanup, all I had to show for it was 6 trannies! Not worth it, IMO, as long as there are labs that do a good job for a good price. Not that it cant be done at home with good equip, but I think those are the reasons more people dont do it, plus some of the chemicals are nasty.

Old School Wayne

Theres another place in Seattle too, that also does LF but again I dont know about 5x7. I also dont know how to spell their name, but I've heard it pronounced: I-vee-see-right

They cost slightly less than Prolab, too, but I've never used them

Gamma in Chicago charge $3.25 for 5x7. It's a good lab. But it's not much cheaper than your lab. You can visit their website at www.gammaphoto.com, or call 800-337-9959.

I too have been searching for a good 5x7 E-6 lab since I can't find a decent one in Salt Lake. I believe my search has ended with a lab called Edgar Praus Productions. They are out of Rochester, New York and do not charge for shipping for orders over $30 and only $5 for anything less. Most of the places I contacted charge up to $10+ for shipping. You can also set up an account with them. They charge $3.00 per 5x7 sheet. Their Web site is "www.4photolab.com." They can also send you a catalog of services. Their phone number is (716) 442-4820.

Hi, this response is from the owner of Flatiron . I am sorry you have been disappointed with my service. I do have 5 x 7 racks and you continue to send me film. I appreciate your business but if your not happy and you dont tell me what your problem is how can I help.

Seth Goldman Flatiron Color Lab