Thread: arca swiss recessed lens boards and orbix?

arca swiss recessed lens boards and orbix?

hello all,

I am new to this forum and am excited to see what it is all about.

I have (just got it)an arca swiss f line field camera, 4x5 back with a 6x9 front standard, a 6x9 and 6x12 roll back. I am a landscape photographer and would love to be able to use its movements for architecture and landscape shots, (typical hey?).
    I have a schneider super angulon 1:8/47mm (not xl) copal 0, that i would like to use with movements.

straight focusing and image coverage is good but as most of you know movements are minimal. I have a wide angle bellows and a 10mm recessed lens board that a local machinist made for me. unfortunately the 10mm is not enough for movement action and so I feel foolish

What are my options? will an orbix attachment help assuming I can find one and are there any uber-recessed boards available, 25mm, copal 0? I realize I may have to go back to my machinist and hang my head. I have looked online for these big recessed boards and havent had to much luck.

what do you all think? what do others do with wide angle lenses and restricted movements?

thanks for your time
    bryan gagner

Re: arca swiss recessed lens boards and orbix?

Hi Bryan,
    The Orbix attachment is not as simple as just getting one and pitting it on. You will need to buy an entire front frame with Orbix already installed or send your frame to France and have it fitted, that's how it's done. The Orbix will only add yaw-free axial tilt and really won't free the bellows up any..Evan Clarke

You have a summary of the data for the 8/47mm super-angulon here. at least if we are speaking about the same lens.

http://www.schneideroptics.com/info/...ta/8-47mm.html

The image circle is only 113mm so it is definitely for rolllfilm use.or 2x3" cut film ;-)
    The diagonal of a 6x12 rollfilm image is about 125 mm (assuming 56x112mm) so this lens will not cover the 6x12.
    No problem however with the 6x9 back but allowable movements will be about 8 to 10 mm only.

The lens would be more comfortable with the Arca Swiss 6x9 back and wide-angle bellows.. but you'd have to find another 6x9 back with the smaller 2x3" baby graflok size instead of the 4x5" plate.
    I agree with Evan C. that the Orbix® cannot do miracles in the situation as described... moreover with a limited image circle, front tilts are extremely demanding and the limit is reached quickly!

So if you want to use a 6x9 rollfilm back for a 4x5" back and have some movements the only solution I see is to use the 25mm recessed board in 110 mm 6x9 A/S board size.... or get a more recent lens with more image circle, so that your investment in camera accessories can be actually rewarded by more performance of the lens itself !

On the 6x9 A/S camera the 45-47 lenses can be used on a flat lens board but some users prefer a recessed board to be more comfortable.

Having just bought a 6x9FC with Micrometric-Orbix it has just occured to me that the orbix is no longer axial if you use a recessed board. Does this sound right?