Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Patching bellows - best practices?

Patching bellows - best practices?

Hey, everyone -

The Seneca's bellows need work. They're not what I'd call a seive, but they'll need replacing sooner than later (in fact, I have a couple more cameras I plan to sell off, and hopefully will generate some more income somehow, so as I can get Mark Kapono to make me one soon - ya hear that Mark? ). There're plenty of small holes in the corners when the bellows are stretched. Is it better to coat them from the inside or outside? I'd think liquid electrical tape from the outside would be easiest, but will it work?

Thanks.
    Scott

Re: Patching bellows - best practices?

I used liquid electrical tape on the outside of my V8 bellows. It worked fine. I put a couple of coats on mine and set it up in a dark room with a flashlight to identify the pinholes etc. I also recommend you allow it to dry between any coats and touch it up as needed. I did eventually replace the bellows. Jon

Scott,

By the book means do it from the inside. On the other hand, I have had good luck filling those pinholes at the corner with black fabric paint. I think it was Kirk Gittings who put us on to that.
    The brand I use is made by Duncancrafts, brand name Scribbles. I use their sc 139 shiny black. It dries in 24 hours, stays flexible. I bought a one oz bottle at the local variety store for a buck ninety eight.

B&S sells a very good bellws patching kit containing cloth and black sealant.
    I normally use artists black acrylic paint. It stays flexible and it is easy to apply a second coat if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    B&S sells a very good bellws patching kit containing cloth and black sealant.
    I normally use artists black acrylic paint. It stays flexible and it is easy to apply a second coat if needed.
    What is B&S?? Do you mean B&H?

B and S= Bostick and Sullivan

I've been using the B&S kit on my 7x17" Korona, and it's good stuff. You can use it both inside and out.

Aloha Scott:

I hope that the quote tendered to you meets with your approval. As for materials for patching a bellows, I have seen a fair number of materials that seem not to work, as evidenced on the original bellows that have passed over the bench. Iron-on patches, I anticipate that one showing up down the road.

A hui hou!

How about just doubling up your darkcloth and laying it over the bellows before you pull the darkslide? It works for me on my old Poco.

You know, Frank, that may be what I do until I can send the bad bellows off to Mark for replacing. I bought some Scribbles fabric paint today, but might just lightly cover the spots for now and drape the darkcloth/lined flannel shirt over the bellows.

Damn good idea.

Thanks, everyone. Back to finishing the three-piece walnut lensboard I'm making for the impending Sironar-N 210/5.6!