Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: At sunset what color is the landscape?

Re: At sunset what color is the landscape?

That's real commitment to get the shot, Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by Rory_5244 View Post
    That's real commitment to get the shot, Robert.
    Thanks Rory, I wish I could say that was the primary motivation, but it wouldn't be the truth. Actually, I was almost out of petrol, and was afraid I wouldn't be able to find a station late at night, so I pulled over at what looked like a promising spot, and this was the result the next morning. However, I have spent the night in a likely spot for at other times.

Too many good (and correct, even if different) responses to the intent of the OP here, so I'll just go back to the original question: At sunset what color is the landscape?

Answer: The landscape is the same color it always was (and is.) The color of the light has changed.

See? This is the classic "Which came first, the chicken or the egg" scenario. You can't solve the equation, so just make the print that makes you happiest!

Quote Originally Posted by Eric James View Post
    Recently in another thread I was asked, "why on Earth are you using warming filters" if your images become digitized. I respected the advise, but it made me feel uneasy - not in part because I've spent sooooo much on the darn things.
    Seems to me, unless you have enough lattitude in the film so you don't end up "clipping" the color responses, color correcting in the computer can only go so far. I've regretted not using a warming filter in shady situations when I wanted warmer color because (at least with velvia) there's not enough lattitude to shift the colors back digitally. In post processing on the computer, it can be very difficult to warm things back up and keep the image natural looking because the information just isn't there on the film.

Just because you digitize an image doesn't mean you shouldn't expose film correctly in the first place. I think the advice you got is garbage.
    Laurent