Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Taking photos at narrows in Zion

Taking photos at narrows in Zion

Anyone tried to take photos using large format camera at narrows? Is the tripod soaked in the water? do you carry the camera in a normal backpack or a waterproof backpack like the dry zone?

Re: Taking photos at narrows in Zion

depends if you hike from the top going down, or go up from the Temple. During this spring you will have high water, which makes it nearly impossible to go down or even go up. Think spring run off water surge. By mid summer you should be fine with water levels. I have yet to hike the narrows when I have not fallen at some point and gotten totally soaked. that without a camera. I know several photographers here that do hike the narrows with LF. They all use a water proof bag to keep their things safe while packed in a sturdy backpack. Very few places where the tripod will not be in the water. You're hiking a river bed with the walls of the canyon as the banks. Best times to do the narrows are either before the summer rains start about the first of July, or after labor day. I found October really nice. No matter what check with the rangers to make sure conditions are favorable for hiking.

I will visit zion around June 7th. Maybe I will take a digital camera with me for the narrows.

I've done it in the fall by heading upstream from the parking lot at the temple of Sinawava, though I suspect there will be too much water with spring run-off. For the fall hike, I was basically in the water the entire time, hiking upstream against the current. In a few places the water was waist-deep -- and I am 6'-6" tall -- but most of the time only a foot or two. Sturdy and comfortable footwear and a wading staff are advisable, and I'd add in a set of waders if it is cool. I packed all my gear in dry bags, then carried those, water and food inside an internal frame backpack. Note that the only place I ever personally got stuck in quicksand was crossing a tributary feeding the Virgin River that appeared dry -- it wasn't dry. FWIW, I think the trip is worth it if you are up to it, but I would not attempt it alone; take a buddy.

My gear at the time was a Linhof Technikardan 4x5, 58, 90, 150 and 300mm lenses, two or three boxes of Fuji Quickloads and a gitzo tripod. Here are a few shots from that trip, though I've shown them on these forums before, so advance appologies for all who find this a boring repetition:

And one from near the starting point:

Cheers,
    Jack Flesher

www.getdpi.com

Thanks Jack for sharing, I remember that photo by 58xl. I will decide if I am going to take the LF camera depending how deep is the water.

Jack, those shot's never get boring!!! I love them every time I see them...
    jb

Inspiring photographs Jack!

I think it might be a good idea to keep my bogen 3001 for a while, coz I don't wanna put a carbon fiber tripod in the sands.

My Gitzo was a CF. But you can pull the Gitzos apart to clean them -- and I definitely did need to do that after that trip!
    Jack Flesher

www.getdpi.com

Lovely shots Jack. I really like that you stayed true to the real colors of the place.