Thread: Epson fluid mount accessory frame damage

Epson fluid mount accessory frame damage

After less than two weeks of use the plastic frame around the glass of my FMA starts to break up due to what I call would call corrosion cracks around the screws/bolts (see photos). I use Kami XSL 2001 mounting fluid exclusively in combination with melinex (aka mylar) foil, no tape.
    The corrosion cracks have a typical appearance of tension stress corrosion cracks. These can be production related or chemically or thermo (warming up with long scans) induced.
    To find out what is causing this I would like to know if there are other users of the Epson FMA who have experienced this problem.
    My initial thought was that it might be caused by the presence of aromatic hydrocarbons in the scanning fluid causing the ABS polymers of the frame to swell and crack at the point where the rigid screws/bolts are inserted in the frame, because tension builds up there when the frame expands. Kami however has written to me there are no aromatic hydrocarbons present in their fluid. Exit that theory.
    Epson is looking into the matter.

I would like to know:
    - did anyone else here experience this or a similar problem?
    - if so, did you (exclusively) use Kami fluid or not? I would like to rule the use of this particular fluid in or out as a possible cause. There might be some other issue here I do not yet understand?

I would really like to understand what is wrong here.

Re: Epson fluid mount accessory frame damage

Jan,

Sorry to hear about the problem you're having.

From the looks of it... (and this is simply my opinion) it looks like the screw had been over-torqued and caused a crack in the housing. I'm not so sure that the Kami fluid would cause this sort of a breakage. The breakage looks like it emanates away from the screw holes.

Anyway, have you spoken with the Epson folks?

Good luck in dealing with this.

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

Well, seems I am the only one experiencing these problems with the Epson FMA. Strange.
    Just to conclude this thread: I have not yet heard anything relevant from Epson. The FMA has more or less disintegrated by now, so I have just ordered one of Doug's new holders.

The same type of damage (cracks around screws and metal handles) to my FMA several months ago. I called Epson and they sent me a new one. When I asked where to return the old one, they said that I should just keep it. I now seal the area between the glass and plastic frame with masking tape before using Kami fluid.

I understand that you seal your new FMA with masking tape before applying Kami fluid.

Does this prevent damage to the frame in your opinion? I mean, the thing does not crack up when you prevent the fluid from contacting the frame/gasket?

Jan

I have only used the new FMA with the a couple of times so I don't know if the masking tape will solve the problem.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you Martin :-)
    Cheers, Jan