Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What good cable release?

What good cable release?

I second the Horseman ones. They are really made to last.

BTW, Larry, where on earth can I buy de Groff air-releases?? I can't find them on the net. Also, where is the pdf file for your mod? (This forum really needs a search facility)

What good cable release?

Paul, I'm in favour of the Horseman release. Very smooth and positive with a secure locking mechanism. The hand strap (removable) is great for hanging over handles on the tripod head when focusing/composing. Regards Paul

What good cable release?

I just buy the cheapest ones I can find. I keep one on each lens and a couple extras in the back pack. If one breaks or falls off the lens and gets lost, no big deal. Just stick one of the extras on the lens and keep going. I don't ask much of a cable release. All it has to do is trip the shutter and any cable release on the market will do that, at least for a while. I have a bunch on hand that I think I bought from Adorama several years ago for about $5 each. They work fine and at $5 or so each who cares if one breaks or gets lost every now and then?
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

What good cable release?

I like the Pro releases mentioned here, but have an add-on question. Anyone know where I can get a good quality cable release with the non-tapered nipple? I have a new lens in Prontor Professional shutter, and it requires one for one of the two releases. At least, I think it requires the non-tapered, I'm currently using one, but it's really not smooth and I would like to replace it.

What good cable release?

Thanks to all of you for your inputs! The idea of having one cable per lens is i nteresting. I will get some of the special long cables for seamless operation on the critical long lenses. Rega rding the position of the shutters on the boards, Is it a common thing to have them upside down or to have the scales on the sides rather than up and down? This last setting would make readings much easier. Your experiences?

What good cable release?

Is it common to mount the lens in a non conventional way? Who knows! All that matters is that it works better for you.

I've always heard that the Prontor Professional shutter requires *much* more force to trip than a Copal or Copal Press. Don't they make some fancy (& expensive) cable release which integrates preview and shutter tripping into one package?

What good cable release?

Paul: I use a fairly short (20 inch) Prontor release cable that Calumet sells in the US. They advertise it for recessed boards (flexible tip I think). The tip is simply very short and does not spin freely compared to the sheath. This means you can screw it in by twisting anywhere on the cable, and thus it attaches very quickly. I mount my lenses so that the cable goes down. This prevents bending and relieves some force on the front standard as well.