Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What good cable release?

What good cable release?

I have used many kinds of cable releases and have now settled for 10 inches clot h cable releases from HP Despite being better than most of this kind, they only work smoothly the first f ew days or so, and due to the bent and constant trauma (why aren't the shutters cable fittings directed towards gravity?) they rapidly start to gripe. I had tri ed to reinforce them with one inch of thermo-retractable electric insulation, bu t doesn't last long either. There are some stronger makes, but the risk for tran smitting movements to the lens is too high. Are there some cable releases better than others? Also, if 10 inches are fine for short lenses, what would you recom mend for long lenses ? Any way to lubricate a cloth cable release?

What good cable release?

Try our PVC releases which are also available through the Pro Release line. They are almost as supple as cloth and, being PVC covered, they are also water proof.

They are available in 12, 20 and 40 lengths in black, white, blue or red colored coverings.

They have the Zeiss disk lock and a rotating nipple.

Price is just a bit higher then cloth.

Or you could go to the Linhof releases. These actually come from the same factory but have a Linhof proprietary plunger. Several times more expensive they are mesh steel covered by PVC.

What good cable release?

BTW,

While these are currently the HP Pro Release we will change the name later this year to Gepe Pro Release, HP Marketing is a subsidiary of Gepe) so it will be less confusing to simply refer to them as Pro Releases rather then HP releases.

What good cable release?

BTW,

While these are currently the HP Pro Release we will change the name later this year to Gepe Pro Release, (HP Marketing is a subsidiary of Gepe) so it will be less confusing to simply refer to them as Pro Releases rather then HP releases.

What good cable release?

Bob, thanks for suggesting the PVC models. I will test them. I remember having h ad one (from an other brand), longtime ago and after a year or so, the PVC had hardened so much and th e thing was as stiff as a stick of wood! But I shouldn't have stayed on one bad experience.

What good cable release?

Paul you might like to take a look at the two marketed by Horseman. They list tw o in their catalogue:"long type" #29543 which is extra long at 100cm and "large type" #29542 which is about 50cm long. This is the one I've had for some years a nd is very well made of cloth material and reinforced just above the rotating ni pple. It also incorporates a hand strap with is useful for hooking onto the trip od or camera to take up the slack and extra weight. I've certainly not seen bett er then this here in the UK. Regards, Trevor

What good cable release?

While we're on this subject, has anyone ever seen a high quality pneumatic bulb operated release that is at least 25 feet long? All I can find is the cheap ones and they are junk.

What good cable release?

" high quality pneumatic bulb operated release that is at least 25 feet long"

Have you looked at the 33' long Kaiser air release?

What good cable release?

I highly recommend the Linhof releases. Since switching to the Linhof cable rele ases three years ago I haven't had to replace a single one (I have one for each lens, most are the 40cm version.)

Have you thought about mounting your lenses upside down?

What good cable release?

I second the recommendation for the Calumet release with the three red rings. I use the 40" version without any problems. I believe they make a shorter one (maybe 20"). This release has a very long end which is easy to grip while screwing it into the shutter.

Ellis make a good point about lens position on the board. I've oriented all my lenses so the cable release points towards the lower left corner of my lens boards. Since the Arca Swiss uses a recessed design as it's standard board, this gives me a little extra room to mount the cable release (with it's long end) before it goes into the recess. You also end up with your scales in a readable position, and the PC terminal on the side (rather than upside down).

I've never seen the Kaiser product, but I have the de Groff long pneumatic release. It's OK. There were some things I didn't like about the de Groff, so I made some improvements to it. This is documented elsewhere in this site, although I've made some further modifications since submitting this pdf file. I only have 50 feet of tubing, but can say I can easily trip a Copal press shutter, and have also done time exposures on "B" setting. I'm guessing I could probably go 75 - 100 feet with this setup if I had the need.