Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Silly "Should I also take the 4x5" Question: Avoid if not in the mood!

Re: Silly "Should I also take the 4x5" Question: Avoid if not in the mood!

Make the wife bring the 4x5.

Wrong question. The correct question is, "Should I also take the wee dinky miniature wannabe camera?"

Bring your 4X5, and a small digital camera for your family and grab shots. Always!
    Nad45

When I travel I take my 4x5 and my Bessa. But then again I don't have an ankle biter whining because I'm taking to long. Image quality wise your not going to loose all that much by using the Blad. But if you think you are going to need movements then LF is the only choice.

If it were me given your constraints (wife, kid, parents) I would take the Blad and the Bessa.
    Eric Rose
    www.ericrose.com

I don't play the piano, I don't have a beard and I listen to AC/DC in the darkroom. I have no hope as a photographer.

I have a Mamiya 7 with an 80mm lens. That is my travel light set-up. If I am willing to take more weight and will have the time I always bring my Toho and at least a 110 and 150mm.

In your case, if you can stand the extra weight and bulk bring it; worst case scenario you take no photos and get some extra exercise carting the extra weight. I took mine on a recent trip that I knew beforehand would be too busy to allow much shooting; but out of four sheets that I took I am very happy with two. So for me it was very worthwhile.

Hi GB. Take the 4x5. I traveled through Greece with a friend with an 8x10, 645, Bessa, and a DSLR. I agree with Struan Gray (post 15)--it's about logistics. Take as much gear as you can manage & figure out what's most practical to use when you get there. Like Struan said, it's better to get a shot with the Hassy than to miss it with 4x5. My experience was that I shot far less 8x10 than I thought I would.

If you take the 4x5, please read the threads on Greece and Traveling with LF Overseas:
    http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ghlight=greece
    http://www.largeformatphotography.in...eling+Overseas

In particular, note my comments on clearing customs with all the equipiment you're bringing and the requirement for a tripod permit at historical/archaeological sites.

Regardless of the gear you bring, have a wonderful time.

Show your wife this thread, and then let her decide
    Amund

In the course of a month you should be able to find time to shoot a 4x5. If it was a shorter trip, say 2 weeks or less and you did alot of hopping around, I don't think it would be prudent. Probably a 35mm with some Kodachrome would be nice.

A bunch of 4x5 contacts in a album doesn't make it, and if your only going to enlarge to 8x10, hell take the Hassy. If you need family pic's take the RF.

Doug Dolde

I'd never travel with a 4x5 except in my Jeep.

Quote Originally Posted by G Benaim View Post
    ... and a reasonably flexible, patient, and reasonable wife. My parents are joining us for the first half of the trip, so there'll be someone else to watch our son. What would you do? (that's the kicker).

GB
    'nough said! You order an 8X10 kit, then ask her which "we" should bring with - the 4X5 or the 8X10?

Seriously, if she's okay with the 4X5, and you want to bring it along (you want to bring it along), then bring it along. Just bring some film that works well with skin tones, frame the grandparents and their pride and joy in ~10% of your captures and everyone is happy