Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suitable tripod for 4x5

Suitable tripod for 4x5

Hi everyone,

I know this has been debated a million times before and everyone has their own take on it, but I really value opinons and advice given out on this forum.

I have a huge Gitzo G1504, which weighs 5.56 KG without the head. This was inherited and is a brilliant piece of kit. But I know it is overkill for my set up, an Ebony 45, which I never use longer lenses with.

Now, Gitzo CF come up all the time as the recommended pods, but the price is just obscene in my opinion, but agree they are superb items. But I can pick up an aluminium Manfrotto 055PROB for a third of the price of a Gitzo. It is rated at 7KG load. My kit weighs a total of 3.5KG (camera and lens) and head 1KG. The weight of the manfrotto is 2.4KG, so the saving on my back over the Gitzo is substantial.

What is the opinion on this? Am I likely to be disappointed or have any stability/vibration issues with the Manfrotto? I'd rather steer clear of CF as I am not too careful with my tripod and wonder if they are more susceptible to knocks? Looking at pics of the Manfrotto they look very well made, all metal. Finally. I do not need something that goes really high - 5-6 feet is fine. The Gitzo I have is 5 sections and goes so high I'd need a step ladder to use it at that height - again overkill for me.

I'll be using the same Arca head which is not a problem and perfect for my needs. That weighs 1KG.

Sorry for posting yet another tripod question!

Regards

Steve

Re: Suitable tripod for 4x5

Steve, it should work just fine. Others in the same class will also work fine. My personal preference is the Linhof 3414. Since it has been dicussed and debated to death there is no sense in going into the dicsuccion of round leegs v. u shaped. Or, for that matter, the strength of an oriinal Tiltall v. a new one.

That is the tripod I use with my Ebony 45. It more than solid enough -I'm actually looking for something lighter.

I don't know kilograms or how they convert to real (i.e. American) weights (: - )) but you might take a look at the Feisol carbon fiber tripods (www.feisol.com I think) and see if one looks like it would work for you. I've used a Gitzo 1325 for years, I recently started using a Feisol. I've been very impressed with the build quality of the Feisol and the collars are much easier to use than the ones on the Gitzo (not to mention the fact that I have to send the Gitzo in for repair beause the top section on one of the legs has come loose from the base). I still use the Gitzo for architecture (because I have a Bogen 410 geared head on it) but the Feisol has replaced the Gitzo for everything else. I paid $210 for mine which included a carrying case, leg pads, and shipping. I should add that if you habitually photograph in strong winds the Feisol probably isn't the ideal choice, nor is it a good choice if you believe you need a heavy tripod for a heavy camera. The model I use is considerably lighter than your Ebony.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

I had the aluminum Gitzo 1320 and have the CF 1325. I compared them side by side while I owned both. The 1320, while weighing far, far more than the 1325, did a far worse job of absorbing vibration. The difference amazed me. Weight is not everything in a tripod. Easily convinced me to stick with CF tripods. Sold the 1320.

Cool Re: Suitable tripod for 4x5

I have a Gitzo 1338, plenty big for 8x10, and a reis j100 for a lot of field work. I personally would rather use the reis, and I like the way it sets up. Michael Smith showed me how to use a reis without really tightening the leg swivel screws, certainly not real tight.

I am thinking aoubt getting the H600 for a lightweight 4x5 tripod.

Anybody have experience with that application?

I second the Feisol. For the money they can't be beat. Their customer service is great also. I got my 3471 from China to Michigan in just four days.
    Greg Lockrey

Wealth is a state of mind.
    Money is just a tool.
    Happiness is pedaling +25mph on a smooth road.

I've got a Zone VI tripod I want to sell...

I still use the Gitzo for architecture (because I have a Bogen 410 geared head on it)
    Brian, can't you use your 410 head on the feisol? It is one of the combinations I was considering...

Thanks for the replies. I will check out the Feisol. I am interested to read though about CF absorbing vibration better than Aluminium. Vibration from what though? Assuming the tipod is set up correctly on stable ground and away from traffic (i.e. the wilderness), the only thing I can think of is the little whir of the compur shutter - a million miles away from an SLR mirror slap/motordrive. Is vibration absorbtion really an issue?

I'm not disputing, just interested. How was the side by side test conducted?

I really appreciate the comments and advice.

Regards

Steve