Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Large Format Dinner Gathering in Ottawa this Sat.

-Rob bigcameraworkshops.com Robert Skeoch's Avatar

Large Format Dinner Gathering in Ottawa this Sat.

Just a reminder about the up coming large format dinner in Ottawa on Saturday

Your invited to join us for a dinner and a cold drink if you find yourself in Ottawa this weekend.

Everyone is welcome to attend.

If you're a large format photographer or wish you were, you're invited to join us for a casual night of fun and laughs and to meet others with an interest in big cameras.

Feel free to bring a few prints, or just your wallet and meet some other LF photographers. There is no program, just to meet other people with similar interests.

Please let me know if you plan to attend because I have to give them a final number. skeoch at sympatico.ca

And yes everyone pays for there own food.

Ottawa Area Large Format Gathering Dinner
    We're meeting at Montana's Cookhouse 1100 Baxter St. in the Ikea Plaza in Ottawa at 7pm Sat. May 5.

This is my first time doing this in Ottawa so don't be shy... come out and meet other people with similar interests.

7 pm on Sat. May 5
    Montana's Cookhouse in the Ikea Plaza
    1100 Baxter St. Ottawa

-Rob Skeoch
    www.BigCameraWorkshops.com

Re: Large Format Dinner Gathering in Ottawa this Sat.

Now that sounds like a nice night out!

Sounds like a really good idea, but Saturday night is perhaps not the best time.

I can only assume that the organizer is one of those long-suffering Toronto Leaf fans who would just like to forget what is happening . However, here in Ottawa, it is playoff time for a team that has a serious shot at winning the Cup. On Saturday night, Ottawa will be playing New Jersey. If Montana's Cookhouse has a big screen TV, the place will be bedlam. If not, it will be a very slow night. Depending on what happens tonight, Ottawa will either have a 3-1 lead, meaning that Saturday night's game may decide the series, or the teams will be tied 2-2, in which case any self-respecting Ottawa fan will be watching and rooting. I hope that your event is a success, but for me dinner with Burtynsky wouldn't be enough to take a pass on the game.

Move this from a family-style restaurant in a shopping mall to a good pub in a more central location that has a decent television screen, and I might be up for talking photography between periods of the game .

So Ottawa won tonight, which means that Saturday night the Senators will be playing for the series and New Jersey will be playing, on their home ice, to stay alive.

Mr. Skeoch, I don't quite get this, and so I'm going to ask some questions in what I hope you regard as the best of faith.

Why is a guy from the Toronto area trying to organize a meeting of large format photographers in Ottawa? You haven't explained that. Consequently, on the face of it, it looks like this is about furthering your business interests. I'm not saying that that is what you are doing, I am just saying, in the absence of any explanation, that that is what it kind of looks like. Which is fine, but if that is what is happening, why not just say so?

Assuming that Ottawa photographers are prepared to meet at your suggestion, with no real understanding of the point, did you ask people in Ottawa whether they want to meet at a family-style restaurant in a suburban shopping mall? Because, honestly, this is like someone in Ottawa proposing to convene a meeting of Toronto large format photographers at a second rate restaurant at a shopping mall in Mississauga. It just seems a bit weird. I mean, there are some pretty cool places where people could meet in the capitol, on both the Ontario and Quebec sides, and I really doubt that Montana's Cookhouse, which describes itself as a pseudo-country-cabin restaurant chain, would be high on the list of anyone who actually lives here.

In any event, you have set this event for the same night as a critical playoff hockey game. I can only assume either that you don't understand the significance of the series to this city or that your experience is that Ottawa large format photographers would rather sit in a suburban chain restaurant chit chatting about whatever you have in mind than watch their team progress to the Stanley Cup.

Anyway, just curious.

-Rob bigcameraworkshops.com Robert Skeoch's Avatar

Actually I've contact the people who said they were interested to see if they want to reschedule.... I'm waiting to hear back from them.
    -Rob

I think it is rather kind of Rob to try and organize these dinners. I was out of town for the Toronto dinner. I don't think these dinners are designed to hard sell cameras.

If not Rob, who?

I've already said that I think that a meeting of Ottawa large format photographers might be fun.

I pointed out that this Saturday night is a really bad time for such a meeting, although others of course may feel differently.

I'd also like to know, before I go out to the west end of the city to have dinner in a not very good restaurant located in a shopping mall, at the suggestion of someone who lives hundreds of miles away, what this is about.

I didn't go to the Toronto eatfest and I know Rob just so you where I'm coming from.

I think it's just a simple get together of what I consider a small brother and sisterhood of lf photographers, especially north of the 49th. We have this site and others, but sometimes putting a face to net handles, over decent food, (never been to Montana's so can't speak of it but not my first choice ) is a nice change from the keyboard.

I imagine it's the same reason he organizes stuff like the Rattlesnake and Algonquin get togethers, hanging out and learning from other photographers. And hey, if someone is considering ordering something from him, he may very well oblige but I don't think you'll hear the words bigcameraworkshops dropped throughout dinner.

I hear you r.e. about the playoffs, the Buds as usual, made another early exit. Forty years ! Forty years since the Cup was in the Big Smoke. Forty !!!!

Now Rob, about my cheque...
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

Fred,

I'm game for an Ottawa meeting regardless of who organizes it.

I am pretty sure, if it is organized by local people, or in consultation with local people, that the meeting/dinner would be held elsewhere.

So you know where I am coming from, I am not going to go for dinner at the Pinecrest Shopping Mall on a playoff night or any other night. If other people feel otherwise, cool.

It isn't that I have a problem with driving somewhere out of the way. As a resident of central Ottawa, if you want me to drive ten or twenty miles, tell me Chelsea, tell me the Stittsville Pub, just don't tell me Pinecrest

I think that you understand what I am saying.

I sent a message to Mr. Skeoch about two months ago saying that I would consider this if he wasn't talking about going to a suburban mall for dinner. I got no response.

That was before he posted a notice on this site confirming the date and place despite the fact that it conflicted with a major hockey game. What can I say, I guess that the Toronto crowd is actually watching the World Championships

I guess that I just don't get it.

Maybe the Ottawa photographers should organize their own meeting and ask Mr. Skeoche whether he wants to come.he might find out that Ottawa is not Mississauga

Oh my, a controversy over an INFORMAL CASUAL getogether. Can only happen in Fed-City (the Hill seems to radiate its vibes). So what's soooooo baaaaad about the Montana's at Pinecrest (aside from less than stellar food)? It's like any other Montana's, NEAR a shopping center alright, but not inside it (and at least we can find a parking space, unlike most places on Preston). Or is it really more of a case of acute IKEA phobia .
    How about one of the Royal Oak's? Or if we feel rich, we could try the Brookstreet .