Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Fujinon A 360mm

Re: Fujinon A 360mm

Kerry,

I have to add my thanks for putting the lens review together. I used it a lot when putting my lens collection together and have been extremely pleased with the results. I found the info most valuable.

Kerry,
    As the proud owner of three teenage daughters, I can assure you that you have more "free" time now than you will later on...

Quote Originally Posted by chilihead View Post
    I agree with all the above - the "A" 360 is worth every penny - and a mint one is worth 1800 - Fuji won't be making the the "A" series again - they all (the 180 f9, the 240 f9, the 300 f9 and the 360 f10) are fabulous fabulous lenses. I have them all and wouldn't trade for anything ... two or three stops down and you are at the best apertures of f22 or f32, try that with a 5.6 clunker!
    A while ago, I tested 7 modern (ish) 360mm lenses (two of the 7 were actually 355mms). I did a real world shot on f22 on 8x10 with a little res chart thrown in. And after I didn't believe the results the first time, I redid the entire test and got the same results. The Fujinon A 360mm was in the top three. However, an old tired looking f5.6 "clunker" was better than anything else - a Rodenstock Linhof branded Sironar... It's about 3 times the weight of the 360A and has less coverage, but I also paid less than $500 for it. Everytime I've done these sorts of tests, I am truly astounded by how small the differences are in various optics. There were no dogs and the difference between best and worst was very small.

Quote Originally Posted by Rider View Post
    ...Kerry, do you plan to update your future classics, or update the areas of the website that are still "under construction"?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry L. Thalmann View Post
    I'd love to, but I simply don't have the time right now - and probably won't until my kids are off to college. The youngest is currently in 2nd grade. So, it might be a while. I realize some of it is terribly out-of-date. I simply have too much on my plate to give it the attention it deserves. Still, I'm surprised how much traffic my LF pages continue to generate every month. Somebody must still find it interesting after all these years...
    After another ten years, I still refer to your pages semi-regularly. Given the intervening decade, your youngest is probably graduating from high school right about now. Based on the For Sale items you occasionally post here, I suspect there will be four more years of tuition to be raised. Perhaps starting in the fall you'll have time to update your Web site.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry L. Thalmann View Post
    My interests have changed a bit as I'm dabbling more in ULF and black and white...
    Other than prioritizing you children highest, as everyone should, whatcha been up to photographically lately? Inquiring alleged mind wants to know.

To keep this post somewhat on topic, I should note that more than 15-1/2 years have passed since Kerry sold me a 360mm Fujinon A. It's now my primary lens when shooting 8x10 with a Phillips Compact II. There's nothing quite like it in that focal length.

Eric Woodbury

Sal, I have one too. Nice lens, but they have become so expensive. Their numbers must be very limited and it is surprising that other manufacturer didn't make similar lenses or tha the 360 A isn't more plentiful, because as you point out, what a nice focal length for 5x7 and 8x10.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Woodbury View Post
    ...what a nice focal length for 5x7 and 8x10.
    Not just a nice focal length, but, for use on 4x5, my sample is even sharper than some vaunted competitors: