Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Yousuf Karsh portraits...comments on his techniques...

Yousuf Karsh portraits...comments on his techniques...

David, it seems to me your criticism is that Karsh isn't Arnold Newman, or Eliott Erwitt, etc. It is like complaining that Rembrandt never made gay paperdoll cutouts like Matisse. Karsh is KARSH; he makes formal portraits. IMHO your thoughtful criticism, while valid, isn't fair. A more common criticism is that he uses cookie-cutter lighting, making everyone look Olympian. If true he does it better than anyone else ever has. We should all look so good.

I recall that Karsh once said that after the Einstein portrait, many of his subjects wanted to be photographed in a turtleneck, so in part the similarity might be somewhat subject driven. That said, I think Karsh's portraits show a lot of personality. The lighting style may be similar in these two images, but the subjects come off as quite different characters.

Now if one wanted to say that all of Avedon's subjects look the same, that would be another story. Conversely, one might say that Martin Schoeller is so eclectic in his portraits that he comes across as an incredible virtuoso capable of evoking a variety of moments in the history of photography with great success (check out his portfolio in the Aug. 21/28, 2000 issue of The New Yorker), without establishing one style (unless eclecticism itself is taken as a "style"--and perhaps it should be) as truly his own.

I agree with Bill Mitchell. Would these be better portraits if Karsh had taken them out to a shack, smeared cow dung on their suits and faces and lit them with direct flash? Would they then have been "portraits from life?" by a gifted photographer? Why not stand them in front of a white sheet and let the subject stand straight on and stare into the lens. Maybe if they were teenagers, Karsh could shoot their faces closeup with a sharp lens and see all the blemishes in living color. If you really want to see just how much better Karsh was than the average photographer, look at the black and white pictures of your ancestors.

I think that you need to remember that you are looking at commissioned work which I am sure was not inexpensive...and when someone paid for a Karsh portrait he expected a Karsh portrait in return.

I just love to see these types of discussions on this forum. {:^D

Actually, the celebrity portraits were done at Karsh's expense. On spec, so to speak.

Dave, by raising this issue you have reminded us what photography is all about. Thanks for raising this issue and to the respondents for your informative and stimulating thoughts. I had begun thinking that this forum should be renamed the "LF Photography Hardware Forum". I look forward to more of this kind of issue and dialogue. PS: great scans, thanks.

frank does have a background light behind him. those who cannot appreciate karsh's genius have been brainwashed by the "only the ugly is art" school. have a nice day. will kill eminem for food.

I'd like to make a comment on Karsh's image of General Pershing, It looks like to me that he is using a stong, harsh light, some distance from the subject (from the right of the viewer), slightly raised above the subjects eye. There is another light that is coming in at almost 90 degrees to the left of the subject to light his hands, however, it looks like hes used cutters to protect the face. To emphasize the head and shoulders from the background, he has used a very soft background light (probably 3 stops different from every other light in the image (either that, or hes a darkroom genius). Id just like to make a comment about what everyone else has said about the two images, and Karsh's style for that matter. It is very rare for two people to look at an image in the exact same way, when i was at uni, they taught us to accept others opinions, and try to see it from their perspective, as well as your own. For all those who think that Karsh's style is repetitive, and even 'old', his use of theatrical lighting styles is what makes him so popular, and such a legend, he found his niece in the market and has done well from it.

"....he found his niece in the market and has done well from it."

Where were her parents?

Mr. Karsh has been my photographic idol for many years. A photographers depth and perception is weighed by one thing and that is the ability to produce an image on film which portrays the spirit, strength and personality of the person in front of his camera. I keep open on my desk in my studio, two books by Mr. Karsh. Not to try and copy but to inspire me...because when I complete a portrait session that uplifts me to the stars, I stop and thank them for the opportunity of having Yousuf Karsh as an early role model. Thank you.