Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Yousuf Karsh portraits...comments on his techniques...

Yousuf Karsh portraits...comments on his techniques...

Hey J try to get on the Auction roadshow, this way you can show the prints and be on TV.....:-))

I recently acquired a,authenticated by the National Archives of Canada,as a black and white vintage print taken by YOUSOF KARSH in 1945 of the then Crown Princess Juliana and her three children while living in Ottawa during the German occupation of The Netherlands. Please read the Ottawa or Toronto Sun of March 25/2002.

Framed and signed by all the princesses and Crown Princess Juliana s well an additional personal message handwriiten by the Crown Princess.

I want to auction this of. Res. 416-469-0145 Bus. 416-391-7568 ( Toll Free 1-800-813-9776 )

I would just like to say that this website is cool and has been a big help to me. I am doing an essay on Karsh right now for gr.12 photography, I've learned a lot by looking at what you have to say. Also, I think Karsh was an amamzing photographer in the field that he chose, so I disagree with the people criticizing him. Anyway, have a good argument about it!

I have been a fervent admirer of Karsh from the time I was 13 or 14. My admiration has not been diminished in the years since then. In his autobiography (published in the 1960s), Karsh says that he was inspired by the way in which set designers and dramatic directors used light. That observation convinced him that one could achieve great effects through deliberate use of lighting. This is quite evident in his photographs.

To me, the magic of Karsh does not reside primarily in lighting or printing (masterful though these are). The true drama emerges from the personalities that he photographed, and his wonderful writing about them. I strongly encourage people to look at his book "Karsh Portfolio," and at his autobiography.

Hullo - I just came across this thread because I did a Google search to find out more about Yousuf Karsh since his death on Saturday made the news, and I had never heard of him. (Though of course, I recognized his pictures at once.)

It's very interesting to get a much wider perspective on someone than the minute of time in a news bulletin, and I'm fascinated by all the discussion of the techniques and the "ethics" (almost) of photographic art.

Thanks, y'all, for caring.

I'm a little late on this thread but need some help. I'm a portrait photographer. Karsh had always been my favorite for the depth of his images. I shoot tungsten, Fresnels to be exact. What film should I be using for that Karsh look. Maybe TXP is a good start for over the counter stuff. But if there's something else I should try then please let me know. I'm limited to 120.

I knew Yousof and his wife Estrelita extrtemely well for many years. Yousuf was a delightful man of the old world. His cape and Italian hat that he crumpled when he removed it to say hello. His style and elegant continental manners made him very special in every way. I am especially fond of his wife who I haven't seen in years. I wish him a pleasant voyage to his new location. To his wife I send my best wishes. Sedona AZ

I was sad to see the passing of another great photographer that can never be replaced. I use to work at the camera store where the Karsh Studios did their purchasing and was always attentive to what they used, to make the pictures. I think what ever chemistry (Kodak Portriga, Selectol soft,selenium toner, greeen filters, polarizers) and product they used does not compare with the gentle character which reveals every line of expression from his subjects. I was fortunate to have talked with him in idle jest between floors at the Chateau Laurier and will always remember him as a person able to project some aging personal warmth.

I was privileged to hear Mr Karsh lecture at a professional photographers convention in 1968. During the course of his lectures he fielded many questions from the audience about cameras, lens and all the other technical questions from the floor. He placed almost no emphasis on equipment of any sort, but on proper rapport with the subject.

I'm convinced that you gave him a Brownie Hawkeye camera, a roll of film and a decent darkroom, his work would shine through as always.

My two idols, Mr. Karsh and Adolph (Papa) Fassbender emphasized one thing, "See Light." They were both experts at seeing how to light a subject.