Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Maco Infrared Sample Arrived Today.

Re: Maco Infrared Sample Arrived Today.

So where can I get cheaply a black filter for infrared photography? Do they make these in gel?

Lee make polyester 87 camera filters in both 3x3 and 4x4. B&H have them in stock for $14 and $24 respectively. Wratten 87 gelatin filters are $58 and $90 for the same sizes.

Best,
    Helen

Quote Originally Posted by Gene McCluney View Post
    So where can I get cheaply a black filter for infrared photography? Do they make these in gel?
    What size? Cokin makes 89B P Series, costs just under $50 - model P007. Same cost as Hoya 58mm 89B. Larger sizes cost progressively more.

Ordered a filter from B&H. I understand we are not supposed to chat about our results until we give a review to Maco., therefore I have been confining my discussion to other aspects of this film, I can't comment anyway on performance, as I haven't tried it yet.

Confidently Agnostic!

Quote Originally Posted by Marko View Post
    What size? Cokin makes 89B P Series, costs just under $50 - model P007. Same cost as Hoya 58mm 89B. Larger sizes cost progressively more.
    Do those cokins actually work well? With the long exposures and spaces between holder & filter I always imagined you'd have a huge problem with reflections wrecking your shots (at least with IR - I do use a cokin P grad ND set).

Quote Originally Posted by walter23 View Post
    Do those cokins actually work well? With the long exposures and spaces between holder & filter I always imagined you'd have a huge problem with reflections wrecking your shots (at least with IR - I do use a cokin P grad ND set).
    When I use the Cokin IR filter, I use it with a modular lens hood in front and I wrap a piece of black cloth around the space between the hood and the lens. It's clumsy, really, but it's considerably cheaper than a large, say 77mm, glass filter and it works well. I just don't use it often enough to justify the cost difference and the original question was about cheap IR filters.

I was thinking maybe the filter could be put on the back of the lens? If a tight seal is not possible on the front?

I guess I will have my samples in a few days, the postal service up here is rather slow. I have 3 boxes of the "old" Maco IR820C that I will compare it to.

It is still plenty of snow here, and I have never shot IR in winter before. I am not sure how snow will turn out on IR-film, will it reflect IR ans just be washed out with no detail?

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

I haven't shot IR in winter, but my one try at shooting a glacier in summer shows that ice is --- white.

Hehe, surprise!
    If I will not be able to capture texture in snow/ice I will wait until spring/summer. I can´t waste good film.