Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Maco Infrared Sample Arrived Today.

Maco Infrared Sample Arrived Today.

I got the samples sent out by Maco of their new Infrared emulsion in 4x5 (10 sheets). Also enclosed is a sample of Rollei R3, and another box of 25 sheets of
    Rollei Infrared R1410. And a small container of ACU-1 developer powder concentrate.

I guess I am going to have to get an Infrared filter or two.

I wonder what the difference is between the Roelli infrared film, and the Maco Infrared prototype sent?

Not particularly eager to try the developer, as it has very long developing times.

The cover letter is in rather broken English.

Re: Maco Infrared Sample Arrived Today.

gene, was the maco ir film boxed as efke? i was under the impression that the maco ir film wasn now only being put out by efke.

scott

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Rosenberg View Post
    gene, was the maco ir film boxed as efke? i was under the impression that the maco ir film wasn now only being put out by efke.

scott
    I got two different infrared films from Maco, plus a sample of Roelli R3 or R2 whatever that multi-speed film is.

The existing infrared film is boxed as Roelli Infrared, and says "Made in Germany", The new "test" infrared is in package labeled Maco and says "Made in Germany" and they state in the letter that it is made by Agfa/Gevaert in Belgium.

They also state in the cover letter that it "IS NOT" made by Efke.

thnaks for the info, gene. do you have any idea who is going to be distributing the maco ir film in the usa?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Rosenberg View Post
    thnaks for the info, gene. do you have any idea who is going to be distributing the maco ir film in the usa?
    I don't know about distribution, but Freestyle carries Maco/Roelli films now, so I guess they would have it when it is widely available. I think B&H also has Maco products.

hi gene, i'm glad you mentioned freestyle. i just today recieved from freestyle my efke ir film, which i was told by them was the same as the maco, as maco was no longer making this particular emulsion. if that's not the case, and maco is making their ir seperate from the efke branded stuff, the folks at freestyle are going to have some 'splaining to do.

Gene-
    Are they still shipping samples of their film and if so, what is the link for those of us that may want to try?
    Thanks,
    Peter

I wasn't happy with Rollei IR. To get IR affect you need to shoot with an IR opaque filter. The price for the stuff was outrageous up here ($99 Cdn for 25 sheet box). The stuff I got had barely any notch codes which progressively vanished as I went through the box. I didn't like the ultra thin base, either. Other than that, a nice sharp, smooth tone b/w film.

Quote Originally Posted by PMahoney View Post
    Gene-
    Are they still shipping samples of their film and if so, what is the link for those of us that may want to try?
    Thanks,
    Peter
    This was a "test" of the new Infrared Porotoype from Maco. The Roelli Infrared and the Roelli R3 are just extra goodies thrown in. We are supposed to try out the new Infrared Prototype and communicate our views directly to Maco first for their use, then we can chat about our results in public. I don't think the offer is still going on, there was a sign-up period some time back. I hope I can use the film in a timely manner, but never having shot Infrared, I don't even have filters at this moment, and I'm not inclined to spend much money on filters for a film I would probably not in the future use.

Seriously, I doubt I would ever "buy" any Maco products at their current prices.

Also included was a vial of ACU-1 developer powder, which is a USA made BKA product, basically a variation of Accufine for fine grain.

The Maco IR film are sent out to those that responded to postings on the APUG forum.
    Maco would submit free of charge a new prototype IR film for those willing to test.
    This is not the EFKE IR film but a new film being developed. Results from testing was not supposed to be shared until Maco had reviewed all samples. I completed mine 4-6 weeks ago and i believe it is a done deal.