Thread: Linhof TK45S (Mk1) and a Manfrotto 405 Head

Linhof TK45S (Mk1) and a Manfrotto 405 Head

Hello All

I don't think that has been asked before so here goes. I have the above items and am looking at a way of successfully pairing the two together.

This is the nub of the problem - the linhof has a very deep base, the screw for the quick release base on the 405 is not long enough( according to Manfrotto the screw is machined to a standard ISO length, so its the TK that is wrong.)

What does this mean? Basically the QR plate will wiggle its way loose (usually at the worst possible time,) so has to be constantly tightened. My question is what do other LF users do when using this combo (or the 410 head?)

The alternative is to utilise the two female connections on the bottom of the TK with an Arca Swiss type of plate (Kirk make a specail linhof plate.) However I want to stay with the 405 and not move to a ball head. I have asked both Arca and Manfrotto if they make an adapter but it appears not.

The only option is to try and find a machine shop to make me a longer screw (apparently its a whitworth type) not the easiest and probably not the most cost effective thing to do...Or take a wander around a DIY store

Anyone with any thoughts...please...!

Guy

Re: Linhof TK45S (Mk1) and a Manfrotto 405 Head

When I had my TK, I put a RRS QR plate on the bottom and used an Arca style clamp on my pod. It worked so well, I never looked back. The RRS plate was long and attached with two screws.
    Jack Flesher

www.getdpi.com

Hi Jack

I know the RRS you are referring to. When you say that you "used an Arca style clamp on my pod" - could you give a little more detail? As I mentioned I want to stay with the 405. Did you mount the ARCA clamp to the Manfrotto QR and then mount the RRS plate to the camera?

Many Thanks

Guy

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Aubertin View Post
    Hello All

I don't think that has been asked before so here goes. I have the above items and am looking at a way of successfully pairing the two together.

This is the nub of the problem - the linhof has a very deep base, the screw for the quick release base on the 405 is not long enough( according to Manfrotto the screw is machined to a standard ISO length, so its the TK that is wrong.)

What does this mean? Basically the QR plate will wiggle its way loose (usually at the worst possible time,) so has to be constantly tightened. My question is what do other LF users do when using this combo (or the 410 head?)

The alternative is to utilise the two female connections on the bottom of the TK with an Arca Swiss type of plate (Kirk make a specail linhof plate.) However I want to stay with the 405 and not move to a ball head. I have asked both Arca and Manfrotto if they make an adapter but it appears not.

The only option is to try and find a machine shop to make me a longer screw (apparently its a whitworth type) not the easiest and probably not the most cost effective thing to do...Or take a wander around a DIY store

Anyone with any thoughts...please...!

Guy
    Guy,

First there is no MK1 45S. There is the TK 45 and that was replaced by the 45S in 1995.

Next the threads are standard on the 45S. They will mate to any head using standard length screws. That includes Linhof heads and plates, Novoflex heads and plates, Kaiser heads and plates, Giottos heads and plates and any other manufacturer using standard screws on their heads and plates. Since the original TK was introduced in 1985 we have never received a single report of a TK not having the proper thread depth to fit on a tripod head or plate. But then we have only been the Linhof distributor since well before the TK was introduced.

Dear Bob

thank you for your reply.

Hey ho, wrong TK descriptions, I now stand thoroughly corrected. My question was not in anyway directed against Linhof (I am on good terms with the brand here in the UK....) or Manfrotto - I incorrectly gave one side of the argument, you have now provided the other.

Don't be so defensive, it is an innocent question and I was looking for a solution and that still stands - you have clarified the naming of the product but nothing else other than an unbelievably blunt response. I have no interest in a one manufacturer versus another debate. I have an issue, I would like some help or thoughts, so I posted here for the first tim after lurking for a while. I'm staggered at your approach...

Anyway I refer back to my original post, the screw that I have, that came with the Manfrotto 405 does not, repeat, does not mate properly with the TK. It wriggles loose. It also does not go into the full length of the TK base. For clarification I have tried 2 different screws...

So back to Jack

Guy

Incidentally I was discussing this with another TK user who has a 410 - he has the same issue....

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Aubertin View Post
    Hi Jack

I know the RRS you are referring to. When you say that you "used an Arca style clamp on my pod" - could you give a little more detail? As I mentioned I want to stay with the 405. Did you mount the ARCA clamp to the Manfrotto QR and then mount the RRS plate to the camera?

Many Thanks

Guy

At the time, I used a generic RRS clamp mounted to the top of an older Gitzo pan-tilt head. That was not particularly pleasant to use, so I soon went to a head with an Arca clamp built in and never went back to anything else. Hence I cannot comment definitively on your 405, however I think somebody makes an Arca clamp with a machined base to fit the Bogen QR clamps and this is the device I would consider if I used a 405... If not, I assume you could modify the base of a Generic Arca clamp with a small hole recess to accept the additional lock screw on the Bogen hex plate, preventing the Arca clamp from twisting and working loose.

This brings up a side issue: IMO it is really unfortunate Bogen does not make their heads with a true Arca QR clamp option, at least for their bigger heads. I think they would sell a lot more heads if they did.

Cheers,
    Jack Flesher

www.getdpi.com

Bob

My Tk45S seemed to rotate slightly when I used the standard quick release plate for the 410 head, never quite snugging up tight enough to make me comfortable. So I got a RRS plate and clamp and filed the top of the 410 head to make it flat and bolted the RRS clamp to it. Solid as a rock now. The 410 head metal is VERY soft so easy to file off in a few minutes and the RRS plate has two holes to attach to the TK45 so it feels much tighter.

It's been so long since I owned a TK that I don't fully understand your question. However, I do use a 410 head (with a Master Technika until recently). That head has its own unique QR plate design and I wanted to be able to use an Arca style QR plate with it so that it would be compatible with the plates on my other cameras. Kirk Enterprises sells an adapter that mates to the 410 head and allows Arca style plates to be used on the 410 so I added that. I've been using it for about five years now (with a Gitzo 1325 tripod) and it's worked very well. I have no idea whether that would solve your problem or not since I don't understand the problem but maybe it will. You can buy the Kirk adapter for about $100.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Thank you very much - looks like there is a way afterall (and very slight concensus.) Now off to visit Kirk and RRS!

Best Wishes

Guy