Thread: #3 Copal and lensboard restrictions

#3 Copal and lensboard restrictions

Since I ran into a reference in Tuan's review of the Linhof Technika about that particular camera having an issure with #3 Copals, I thought I'd ask before I or der one of my very own:

Are there any boards too small for these shutters? I use an old Calumet (/Orbi t/clunky old metal monorail as svelte as The Hulk) 4x5 with ~4" boards that seem very basic. But since this was never my be-all end-all camera I thought I'd fi nd out what cameras I wouldn't be using if I went with a #3 lens.

(And if anyone knows of someone out there with a pile of boards for old Calumet/ Orbits, let me know privately --- and I could also use some replacement hardware for the stuff I keep breaking! Glad I didn't start with an Ebony...)

A Copal #3 has a diameter of 102mm or just over 4". Much too large for a 4"x4" lensboard. Not to mention a weight of 12oz. Add a lens and your well over a pound. Not a good situation for a 4x5.

All Copal Prontor and Compur 3 shutters fit on a Technika. Some Technika boards for a 3 shutter come with a spacer so the aperture mechanism won't rub but there is no restriction using a 3 shutter on a 45 Technika ar on a 69 or 45 TechniKardan.

The site's information was incorrect.

However not all lenses that require a 3 size shutter can be used with a Technika or a TK as the rear element of the lens is too large to fit through the hole in the front standard.

But this has nothing to do with a lens board.

You are welcome to contact the Linhof service canter in the US at 973 808-9626 to verify if a specific lens will work.

"A Copal #3 has a diameter of 102mm or just over 4". Much too large for a 4"x4" lensboard. Not to mention a weight of 12oz. Add a lens and your well over a pound. Not a good situation for a 4x5."

That is not the mounting flange size for a 3. You are apparently listing the maximum diameter of a 3 shutter. The 3 is easily useable on a small lensboard like the ones used on a technika and are done so regularly.

Hi John, I've got a Copal No 3 on a 4" board. The outside diameter of the Copal is just about 4", but the mounting tread is small enough to mount it on a standard 4" square board with plenty of wood to fasten it to. Best, David

It may mount on a 4"x4", but good luck with tilts.

"It may mount on a 4"x4", but good luck with tilts. "

There is no problem tilting the standard on a Technika or TechniKardan with a 3 shutter. Why should there be?

From what I remember hearing a while ago, a #3 shutter will fit your lens board, however, for cameras with smaller boards there is an alternative that may suit you. If you are a competent crastsperson you may be able to fabricate one from aluminium, or some other strong, light metal. With this you are able to build in a shim to space the shutter out slightly, and as boards with large shutters are weaker (atleast wooden ones in my experience) you will not have this problem with metal.

I've got an old Calumet CC400 series 4x5 with the round monorail. It's got 4 inch boards and I've rented (from Calumet) a 240mm Caltar II in a Copal 3. No problems with mounting or movements. Worked like a charm.