Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Equestrians! I need your help!

Equestrians! I need your help!

(aka, my first outdoor LF experience!)

Right,

I sorted the Dogmar 150/4,5 aperture-less lens into a lens panel, and the Korona is pretty complete.

Decided to brave it for the first time ever - going out with a large format camera! It wouldn't be so bad if I was a few miles from my home, but going round the back felt a bit like cheating. I carried the camera and tripod, plus dark cloth, one DDS and my Leningrad 8 around to the small stream with steep banks. Propped everything up, even placed the tripod legs in the muddy stream! Yep! The whole shebang!

Turns out the stream looks rubbish on the GG, so I wandered off.

Remembering there's a field a few minutes away -in fact it's one of many in Lydiard- I was considering it as backdrop for some portraits one time. Seemed private enough I could take someone there for outdoor nudes or something. Maybe that would be nice?

So I get to the field, a whopping great 2 minutes walk away. I rehearse in my mind the "I'm a student, just taking a photo, if you want a print then I'll bring you one" speech in case I come across a farmer.

Trundling into the field I think, "Jackpot!! It's full of horses!" forgetting my only lens was a shutter-less, aperture-less 150mm, and it was getting on 7:30pm pre-dusk, with Ortho film in the camera

Set everything up again... The horses (probably 30, maybe more maybe less, a whole load of them anyhow) look like ants on the GG, so I wander along the perimeter of the field, with a thorny thick bush on my right hand side and nowhere to run except TOWARD the horses.

---

Okay before I continue, the last experience I can remember involving horses was during school about 5 years ago, being forced to groom and clean up the muck, then attempting to ride one around a small pen. My horse decided to lean and try and eat the daisies and flowers and consistently threw me off balance. I was scared to tears. My fragile teen persona dancing on the edge, with a gentle beast that wanted to freak me out as much as possible!

Oh, and my mother once told me a story that when she was in her teens, she was chased and cornered by a herd of cows.

---

With that in mind, even entering a field full of black and white and brown horses was a step higher on my fear factor. Calm breathing all the way, don't be more than 1 minute's walk from the fence.

So I tip-toe my way into the open space, towards the group of horses. A young'un slowly gallops toward me, mother in tow. I start to walk backwards, to avoid the cute quadruped from befriending me and incurring the mother's wrath. Remember, I'm no horse tamer.

It gets bored a few yards from me and clears off. So I wander back into the clear space toward the herd.

One quite white horse, with a few spots of dark brown in places, moves closer, but not towards me, more to feed on the grass. I make way for it, but try to maneuver myself, it was the perfect distance to get in the frame, with a shutter speed of half a second and seemingly great composition - fair sized horse in foreground, herd of horses making up the horizon.

It starts tapping its hind foot against the ground. I wait for maybe 5 taps and glance to see a larger brown male, with flared ankles jogging my way.

I hold one hand out calming saying "woahhh..." (cmon, my only experience of horses is cowboy films and a repressed teen memory!). It backs me up toward the tall hedge as I slowly, yet quite speedily, re-trace my steps; I was far from the gate and known freedom however.

My heart is racing!

I keep thinking, "can I drop the tripod, get my hand through the handle on the Korona, and duck and roll out of the way of the horse if it charges? Can I avoid the many dung patties I've already stepped in whilst staring this horse in the eyes!?"

The horse stares at me and it calmly walks right up. I stroke its nose, uttering gentle words and showing I was no threat. Heart in my throat, I can feel my body shaking, my knees screaming at me "hey are we gonna run here or am I gonna buckle and see you collapse??". A few moments pass, but the old cliche stands, it felt like an eternity.

I can't remember the next moment, but the next thing I know the horse is trotting to join the herd again.

I set the camera up one last time, decide that I REALLY don't think I'll get a good photo, not from that distance, and not with a fear of being trampled.

I wander out the field.

Further along there's a trenched area by a drain, and a felled broken tree that looks like an arch. I make do with my weak-nerves and set up and photograph it. The exposure was now 8 seconds. Light was going fast anyway.

I can see the horses galloping past, the perfect distance away, but this time on the other side of a stream and fence.

A couple horses look at me as they go past. One really nice young black horse has an extended look at me, I make "tick" sounds with my tongue through my teeth. I go to pick up my tripod, it makes a metallic clacking sound as it jolts on the dry mud - it spooked the poor horse!

I can't win.

Re: Equestrians! I need your help!

Every horse has its unique personality. What is scary for one, isn't to another. Like people, you can't generalize. They are also curious, after all you were visiting their space. Usually people are the food or treat provider, so it's worth their time checking you out.

The other thing is they will test your dominance. As they forced you around they learned you were a push over. With horses it's important to hold your ground, and some times push back. When they feel that you are the dominant horse they will respect you.

Anyway, just enjoy taking pictures of them.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

I think next time I'll take a few carrots with me, and as you say, stand my ground,

I wasn't quite sure of the etiquette, whether to stand my ground would have resulted in some interesting scars and conversation material

Well, there are other things that can happen too when you stand yoru ground with curious domesticated animals. The image below is an illustration of that. See the two sheep coming through the gate? Well, I quickly changed film and was getting ready to take another picture but not only didn't I move fast enough, the brown sheep came right up and licked the lens. End of session for that time and place

Hah! Awesome! I think the horse that came to me would have swallowed my tiny Korona whole!

I have the rubbish branch photo drying now, will have a scan later tonight

I had to click on this post. It sounded like a Monty Python sketch.

W.

There's a movie from the 60s named The Russians are Coming, the Russians are Coming - you'd enjoy seeing this for the horse content Ash

I happened upon a Dall ram two summers ago. He posed for me for 5 minutes or so - I felt it was a gift. At one point (6 meters or so away) he showed me his horns by tilting his head down - what a great shot, what a gift! Then he started with the hoof tapping and I realized that he had a different kind of offering in mind!

This is getting to be more and more fun ... and it just so happens that I ahve lots of animal near disaster images right at hand. This one was part of a series I was doing on Mail Pouch Barns. I had the shot all set up after trying for a couple of days to get the light right and then the bull walked out of the barn So I thought, cool I'll wait until he gets set and then make him the centerpiece of the picture. Then out came the sheep adn the bull came closer and closer. When I took this he was standing some 4-5 feet away. I was real hopeful that he didn't decide to come closer as I was shooting.

Horned creatures had best not be crotch-height or else I'd wear a cup

Here's the shot from the Dogmar, as posted on my compact-4x5 thread also. Obvious flare on the left. I had to cut back to save tones, contrast isn't as high as it could have been.

I come from a little bit different perspective then you as I have owned two of the beast and am more comfortable with them. Domesticated horses recognize humans and were just coming over to check you out and see if you had any treats. Now if it was wild horses that is another matter entirely. You would stay behind the fence and use a long telephoto. The thing is though that they sense fear and will try and get their way with you "if you ride" so you have to take a firm reign. That also encompasses meeting them for the first time. Be gentle and be relaxed. If you fear them stand back and observe for awhile. If you reach out, reach out slow, not quick. The thing you have to remember is they all have different personalities. Some will be aggressive and some downright loving. Figure that out before you make any moves. Out in a pasture they may just be riding ranch horses; What do you think? The animals you really want to stay away from are bulls, goats, geese and some cows as well unless you were raised on a farm and know the animals.

I have not seen where I needed a lens less then 200mm on a 35mm camera to get good pictures of horses out in a field. They will come over but will not pose for you. Figure higher shutter speeds and handheld shooting unless you have a long lens. You will still need to stop action tho. They move around unless being held.