Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tripod Leg wrapper

Re: Tripod Leg wrapper

I have been using these Tri-Pads for over 10 years and never thought of replacing them:

http://www.apogeephoto.com/laird_photo.htm

They are less expensive at B&H:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...&sku=800511786

You might find this interesting, too:

Tripod Leg Wraps and Padding Solutions:
    http://www.earthboundlight.com/photo...leg-wraps.html

// Atul

I`ve found the bicycle handlebar tape to work well. It doesn`t add much to the diameter of the legs and insulates nicely. I find that taping the ends with black photo tape works better than electricians tape. So far it`s been in place for 7-8 years with no need to replace.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric James View Post
    Start by taking your tripod with you to the hardware store so you end up with the best diameter – it comes in two designer colors: Zone 1 and Zone 3. . . . . Now the hard part: cut a piece of tape the length of the longitudinal opening; have someone help you close the foam as much as necessary to make it snug (you don't have to close the gap completely); position the tap over the opening and affix it with hand compression.
    In addition to choosing between Zone I and Zone III, there is also a choice regarding the longitudinal seam. Our local home center carries a version that has a strip of double-stick tape applied in the seam. If you get that variety, it isn't necessary to apply tape along the seam, and the job can be done with only two hands.

grips for tennis raquets ?
    or try http://www3.3m.com/catalog/us/en001/...er/output_html

Doug Dolde

But why do it at all?

frozen legs in winter !

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dolde View Post
    But why do it at all?
    Foam insulation provides padding (I'm not too sure that the handlebar foam tape would offer the same degree of padding). I trust my ballhead and clamp enough to relocate with camera and lens attached to the tripod; I carry the setup over my shoulder and this can be mighty uncomfortable with unpadded legs, especially on uneven terrain. When hiking I often carry my tripod in a hand - here the form provides a more comfortable grip. I can set up faster and the pack carries better sans tripod...and it doesn't hurt to have a defensive weapon ready in moose and bear country - thankfully I've never had to swing the thing, but on a number of occasions I've held my extended tripod overhead - antler style - while trying to figure out how to maneuver past a moose.

Quote Originally Posted by Louie Powell View Post
    In addition to choosing between Zone I and Zone III, there is also a choice regarding the longitudinal seam. Our local home center carries a version that has a strip of double-stick tape applied in the seam. If you get that variety, it isn't necessary to apply tape along the seam, and the job can be done with only two hands.
    A representative of the Alaska Duct Tape Coalition should be arriving at your door momentarily

I have been using the long foam pieces they sell for swimming pool fun for years now, my current tripods have Orange, Green and Blue on them, I love being non-conformist when it comes to gear!

But they are just like pipe insulation, I just have to cut the slit and then a bit of rubber cement and I am set to go.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Parker View Post
    my current tripods have Orange, Green and Blue on them, I love being non-conformist when it comes to gear!
    Okay, Dave, but how do you hike and photograph in those huge clown-shoes, baggy pants, and big orange three fingered gloves??
    ----------------------------------------------------

www.johnvossphotography.blogspot.com